How do I get Imagemagick supported on my server ?

Hello,

I am trying to a seo-modded version of phpBB and
it requires that Imagemagick support is available to
my php setup.

The install software has detected that it can not
find Imagemagick.

I have looked at my setup (using phpinfo() cmd )
but can not see any reference to this Imagemagick.

Can some one please help me by telling me how I check
this out - I guess that I need to change my php.ini file ?

Thanks<br><br>Post edited by: Davvit, at: 2009/02/27 04:55

Well, the first thing you’ll want to do is install the “imagemagick” system package, if you haven’t already.

That may or may not satisfy what your app is after.

If that’s still not enough, you may want to try installing the imagick PHP extension from PHP’s PECL site. You can do that with:

pecl install imagick

Hopefully that will do the trick!
-Eric

Thanks for replying,

I found this download page:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#unix

My system info in VM pro gives me this:

Kernel and CPU Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 on i686

So do you think I should go for this download option:
ImageMagick-6.4.9-7.i586.rpm download download Fedora Core 10 i586 RPM

Please see download page link above.

Is it correct to do for a binary download or should I
be doing something else ?

Thanks for advice :slight_smile:

There should be an imagemagick package for your distro in the repository-- you can install it from the command line by typing:

yum install imagemagick

That should work on RHEL/CentOS.
-Eric

Hi,
I have tried that, but don’t know if it worked.

Using "putty", I got a "nothing to do" message !

Here is a pict:

What should I do now ?

Maybe this image is better:

I dont know this forum shrinks the image, anyway
that images says this:

yum install imagemagick
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

So I don’t know if it did anything or not.

How do I check ?

Howdy Davvit,
a quick search at rpm.pbone.net for imagemagick shows plenty of choices. My assumption here is that your server is using CentOS 5 or
RHEL 5.

Good luck
Joe

Well, imagemagick does appear to be in the CentOS repository. You may actually have it installed already – what does this show:

rpm -qa | grep imagemagick

If you have it installed, you may need to install the imagick PHP plugin with "pecl install imagick".
-Eric

Hey Eric,
this brings up an interesting point.
I overlooked the package because of the capital "I" in ImageMagick, I did look in the CentOS-5 repo and scrolled right down the page to the "i" packages. Doh!
Is yum case sensitive?
Just a thought.
Joe

it is
yum install ImageMagick

all though i did the install manually, the cmd will work on centos

Yes, yum (and RPM) is case sensitive. It’s an accident of history that ImageMagick doesn’t get downcased, I think. It’s a really old library, and it’s always been named ImageMagick, so I guess it just continues to be named ImageMagick, even though the vast majority of packages get downcased.

Hi,
Thanks for reply.

Using Putty, I logged in and got the:

[root@heavyhoster ~]# prompt

( I hope thats a good sign ? )

Then I typed in what you suggested:
rpm -qa | grep imagemagick

Nothing came back, just the prompt:

[root@heavyhoster ~]#

So what does that mean ?

( I guess you can tell that I am new to this ? )

OK - since you must all be tucked up in bed
( or out on the town ! ) I have now tried to enter
the install command:

[root@heavyhoster ~]# pecl install imagick

This is the result:
downloading imagick-2.2.2.tgz …
Starting to download imagick-2.2.2.tgz (77,212 bytes)
…done: 77,212 bytes
11 source files, building
running: phpize
sh: phpize: command not found
ERROR: `phpize’ failed

[root@heavyhoster ~]#

Any idea why it errored ?
What can I do now ?

Thanks.

Howdy,

Well, regarding the rpm command you typed, try tweaking it to this, which does a case-insensitive search:

rpm -qa | grep -i imagemagick

You’ll definitely need to have the ImageMagick package installed for any of this to work.

Next, regarding the pecl command you typed – you’re on the right path, but it looks like you’re missing the “phpize” program, which is used to compile PHP libraries.

You can install it by typing:

yum install php-devel

With Imagemagick and phpize installed, that should get you to the point where you can install that imagick PHP module.
-Eric

Hi again.
Thanks for helping.

Well I installed the php-devel
by typing "yum install php-devel"

In the end it gave me this message:

Installed: php-devel.i386 0:5.1.6-20.el5_2.1
Dependency Installed: autoconf.noarch 0:2.59-12 automake.noarch 0:1.9.6-2.1 imake.i386 0:1.0.2-3
Complete!

[root@heavyhoster ~]#

So I hope that this is an uptodate version of what I need.

Now I also typed this:
[root@heavyhoster ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i imagemagick

and I just got my prompt back:
[root@heavyhoster ~]#

So I guess that means I don’t have what I need yet ?

What should I do now ?

why not enter
yum install ImageMagick
and see if it wants to install ? If it doesn’t then you have it.

OK - thanks Ronald.

It worked - lots an lots of stuff about gnomes and
magick - but no hob-goblins ?

Finally this arrived:

Installed: ImageMagick.i386 0:6.2.8.0-4.el5_1.1
Dependency Installed: audiofile.i386 1:0.2.6-5 avahi.i386 0:0.6.16-1.el5_2.1 avahi-glib.i386 0:0.6.16-1.el5_2.1 chkfontpath.i386 0:1.10.1-1.1 esound.i386 1:0.2.36-3 gamin.i386 0:0.1.7-8.el5 ghostscript.i386 0:8.15.2-9.3.el5 ghostscript-fonts.noarch 0:5.50-13.1.1 gnome-keyring.i386 0:0.6.0-1.fc6 gnome-mime-data.i386 0:2.4.2-3.1 gnome-mount.i386 0:0.5-3.el5 gnome-vfs2.i386 0:2.16.2-4.el5 lcms.i386 0:1.15-1.2.2.el5_2.2 libFS.i386 0:1.0.0-3.1 libXfont.i386 0:1.2.2-1.0.3.el5_1 libbonobo.i386 0:2.16.0-1.fc6 libbonoboui.i386 0:2.16.0-1.fc6 libcroco.i386 0:0.6.1-2.1 libdaemon.i386 0:0.10-5.el5 libfontenc.i386 0:1.0.2-2.2.el5 libglade2.i386 0:2.6.0-2 libgnome.i386 0:2.16.0-6.el5 libgnomecanvas.i386 0:2.14.0-4.1 libgnomeui.i386 0:2.16.0-5.el5 libgsf.i386 0:1.14.1-6.1 librsvg2.i386 0:2.16.1-1.el5 libwmf.i386 0:0.2.8.4-10.1 libxslt.i386 0:1.1.17-2.el5_2.2 shared-mime-info.i386 0:0.19-5.el5 ttmkfdir.i386 0:3.0.9-23.el5 urw-fonts.noarch 0:2.3-6.1.1 xorg-x11-font-utils.i386 1:7.1-2 xorg-x11-xfs.i386 1:1.0.2-4
Complete!

I did a check:
[root@heavyhoster ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i imagemagick

And got this:
ImageMagick-6.2.8.0-4.el5_1.1
[root@heavyhoster ~]#

So I guess thats good !

Thanks again

hi there, following on from where this thread left off, I installed ImageMagick, then went on to install imagick, a php wrapper for ImageMagick…

[root@domU-12-31-39-00-48-05:~] pecl install imagick
downloading imagick-2.2.2.tgz …
Starting to download imagick-2.2.2.tgz (77,212 bytes)
…done: 77,212 bytes
11 source files, building
running: phpize
Configuring for:
PHP Api Version: 20041225
Zend Module Api No: 20050922
Zend Extension Api No: 220051025
Please provide the prefix of Imagemagick installation [autodetect] :
building in /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2
running: /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/configure --with-imagick
checking for egrep… grep -E
checking for a sed that does not truncate output… /bin/sed
checking for gcc… gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name… a.out
checking whether the C compiler works… yes
checking whether we are cross compiling… no
checking for suffix of executables…
checking for suffix of object files… o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler… yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g… yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C… none needed
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together… yes
checking if compiler supports -R… no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,… yes
checking build system type… i686-redhat-linux-gnu
checking host system type… i686-redhat-linux-gnu
checking target system type… i686-redhat-linux-gnu
checking for PHP prefix… /usr
checking for PHP includes… -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext
checking for PHP extension directory… /usr/lib/php/modules
checking for PHP installed headers prefix… /usr/include/php
checking for re2c… no
configure: WARNING: You will need re2c 0.9.11 or later if you want to regenerate PHP parsers.
checking for gawk… gawk
checking whether to enable the imagick extension… yes, shared
checking whether to enable the imagick GraphicsMagick backend… no
checking ImageMagick MagickWand API configuration program… found in /usr/bin/Wand-config
checking if ImageMagick version is at least 6.2.4… found version 6.2.8
checking for magick-wand.h header file… found in /usr/include/wand/magick-wand.h
checking if PHP version is at least 5.1.3… found version 5.1.6
checking for MagickGetImageProperties in -lWand… no
checking for MagickSetFont in -lWand… no
checking for ld used by gcc… /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld… yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files… -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm… /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works… yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries… pass_all
checking how to run the C preprocessor… gcc -E
checking for ANSI C header files… yes
checking for sys/types.h… yes
checking for sys/stat.h… yes
checking for stdlib.h… yes
checking for string.h… yes
checking for memory.h… yes
checking for strings.h… yes
checking for inttypes.h… yes
checking for stdint.h… yes
checking for unistd.h… yes
checking dlfcn.h usability… yes
checking dlfcn.h presence… yes
checking for dlfcn.h… yes
checking for g++… g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler… yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g… yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor… g++ -E
checking for g77… no
checking for f77… no
checking for xlf… no
checking for frt… no
checking for pgf77… no
checking for fort77… no
checking for fl32… no
checking for af77… no
checking for f90… no
checking for xlf90… no
checking for pgf90… no
checking for epcf90… no
checking for f95… no
checking for fort… no
checking for xlf95… no
checking for ifc… no
checking for efc… no
checking for pgf95… no
checking for lf95… no
checking for gfortran… no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler… no
checking whether accepts -g… no
checking the maximum length of command line arguments… 32768
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object… ok
checking for objdir… .libs
checking for ar… ar
checking for ranlib… ranlib
checking for strip… strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions… no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC… -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works… yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works… yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o… yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries… yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in… no
checking dynamic linker characteristics… GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs… immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible… yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries… yes
checking whether to build shared libraries… yes
checking whether to build static libraries… no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag “CXX” to libtool
checking for ld used by g++… /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld… yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries… yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC… -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works… yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works… yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o… yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries… yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics… GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs… immediate
appending configuration tag “F77” to libtool
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.h
running: make
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c -o imagick_class.lo
mkdir .libs
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagick_class.o
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c: In function ‘zif_imagick_removeimageprofile’:
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c:3130: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘MagickRemoveImageProfile’ from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c: In function ‘zif_imagick_getimageprofile’:
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_class.c:4757: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘MagickGetImageProfile’ from incompatible pointer type
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickdraw_class.c -o imagickdraw_class.lo
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickdraw_class.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagickdraw_class.o
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickpixel_class.c -o imagickpixel_class.lo
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickpixel_class.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagickpixel_class.o
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickpixeliterator_class.c -o imagickpixeliterator_class.lo
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagickpixeliterator_class.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagickpixeliterator_class.o
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_helpers.c -o imagick_helpers.lo
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick_helpers.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagick_helpers.o
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=compile gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick.c -o imagick.lo
gcc -I. -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/imagick.o
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick.c: In function ‘php_imagick_clone_imagickpixel_object’:
/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2/imagick.c:2274: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=link gcc -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/main -I/tmp/tmpgFY6cl/imagick-2.2.2 -I/usr/include/php -I/usr/include/php/main -I/usr/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/include/php/Zend -I/usr/include/php/ext -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -o imagick.la -export-dynamic -avoid-version -prefer-pic -module -rpath /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules imagick_class.lo imagickdraw_class.lo imagickpixel_class.lo imagickpixeliterator_class.lo imagick_helpers.lo imagick.lo -lWand -lMagick
gcc -shared .libs/imagick_class.o .libs/imagickdraw_class.o .libs/imagickpixel_class.o .libs/imagickpixeliterator_class.o .libs/imagick_helpers.o .libs/imagick.o -lWand -lMagick -Wl,-soname -Wl,imagick.so -o .libs/imagick.so
creating imagick.la
(cd .libs && rm -f imagick.la && ln -s …/imagick.la imagick.la)
/bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/libtool --mode=install cp ./imagick.la /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules
cp ./.libs/imagick.so /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules/imagick.so
cp ./.libs/imagick.lai /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules/imagick.la
PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules

Libraries have been installed in:
/var/tmp/pear-build-root/imagick-2.2.2/modules

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR’
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:

• add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH’ environment variable
    during execution
  • add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH’ environment variable
    during linking
  • use the `-Wl,–rpath -Wl,LIBDIR’ linker flag
  • have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf’

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Build complete.
(It is safe to ignore warnings about tempnam and tmpnam).

running: make INSTALL_ROOT="/var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2" install
Installing shared extensions: /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr/lib/php/modules/
running: find "/var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2" -ls
542371 4 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2
542402 4 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr
542403 4 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr/lib
542404 4 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr/lib/php
542405 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr/lib/php/modules
542401 656 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 665629 Apr 19 10:43 /var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2/usr/lib/php/modules/imagick.so

Build process completed successfully
Installing ‘/var/tmp/pear-build-root/install-imagick-2.2.2//usr/lib/php/modules/imagick.so’
install ok: channel://pecl.php.net/imagick-2.2.2
You should add “extension=imagick.so” to php.ini
[root@domU-12-31-39-00-48-05:~]

I added extension=imagick.so to the relevant places. But ImageMagick or imagic are not listed when I run phpinf();

I’m very baffled.

It looks like you’re moving in the right direction. The things we’d need to make sure of are:

1. That /usr/lib/php/modules is part of your extension include path

2. That the place you added imagick.so to is actually being seen when PHP is run

Is there a way you could post a link to your phpinfo() page?
-Eric