How do I enable postfix SSL for SMTP ?

Here is my issue, to get around my ISPs Port25 blocking I setup an alternate port for smtp.mydomain:666 (instead of the standard Port25).

So for that works fine on my iPhone. Receiving (imap) is no problem, but sending fails when I switch SSL on.Without SSL it’s fine. But I believe without SSL messages and passwords could be captured from the WiFi stream.

It seams that the iPhone has just SSL as security option.

So how do I enable postfix SSL for SMTP in Webmin?

Or is such a connection save anyway and I don’t need SSL?

Howdy,

You may want to look into enabling something like SMTPS in Postfix. SMTPS runs on port 465, and accepts SSL connections.

You can enable that by editing /etc/postfix/master.cf, and uncommenting the set of lines beginning with “SMTPS”, then restart Postfix.

-Eric

There is only one line with SMTPS which is:

smtps inet n - n - - smtpd

Uncommenting it does not change anything.
I also did a open port check for : telnet smtp.mydomain.com 465

465 is ok, 25 is blocked.

There should be a few lines trailing that one you saw there, they generally begin with a “-o”. Make sure you uncomment those as well, and that you restarted Postfix using “/etc/init.d/postfix restart”.

-Eric

Here is my ‘master’ now’:

smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
465 inet n - n - - smtpd

submission inet n - n - - smtpd

-o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes
-o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
-o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
-o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
smtps inet n - n - - smtpd

My setup in Thunderbird SMTP is:

Port: 465
Connection Security: SSL/TSL
Authentication Method: Normal Password
User Name: MyUserminLoginName

I am not sure if this is server related or client related. I try Thunderbird and iPhone.

It didn’t work and I gave up!

As a workaround I use now Gmail.com to fetch my emails and also use smtp.gmail.com to send emails, they don’t use port25 and it works with my ISP.

gmail.com also lets you use your email as ‘send from’ address.

I am perfectly happy now!

Well, it might help to make an assessment here if you told us what error/problem exactly occurs when you try to connect to SMTPS. :slight_smile: You say “465 is ok, 25 is blocked”, so what’s the error?