How Do I Delete a Virtual Server But Retain the DNS Zones?

I have moved a Virtual Server from this server (source server) to another server (destination server) I am building, due to growth of my company’s Virtual Servers under management.

The migration of the Virtual Server is now complete, and the domains and services associated with it are now running properly. I want to delete the Virtual Server from the source server. However, the source server is the Primary DNS Server for my company’s business. Therefore, I want to delete the Virtual Server but retain the DNS Zones in the BIND Server.

How do I do this?

Is the proper procedure to uncheck “DNS Domain Enabled?” under Virtualmin > (Virtual Server) > Disable and Delete > Disassociate Features, then visit Virtualmin > (Virtual Server) > Disable and Delete > Delete Virtual Server and click the “(x) Yes Delete It” button?

Thanks!

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 18.04.6
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.3-1
Related packages BIND DNS 9.11

I was afraid to take this action, because I’d never done it before, and I was busy with other client tasks that took priority.

I finally found the time today, and when I did, I noticed the highlighted text, “This can be used to import a feature that has been setup manually, or to disconnect a configuration so that it is preserved when a virtual server is deleted.”

I unchecked “DNS domain enabled?” Then I saved the configuration and deleted the virtual server. When that operation was completed, the DNS record that I was trying to preserve was retained.

FWIW, the most complicated aspect of this is that I had to dis-associate the DNS domain for any sub-server defined within the virtual server I was deleting before I deleted the virtual server.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.