How about a kickstart file

I’m sure I’m not the only one who would like to have a ks.cfg file to install a minimal setup with only the pieces needed by Virtualmin. I’ve tinkered with this and I can help out by shooting what I’ve whittled down for CentOS 5.1.

Dave Waldron
davidcwaldron@gmail.com

Hey David,

That’s an interesting idea. I actually toyed with the idea very early on, because I’d used kickstart heavily in my old company. I even used a configuration script package much like the virtualmin-base (called procyon-base, even, and virtualmin-base was based on it to start with).

The only reason I didn’t offer one from the beginning was that so many of our customers early on weren’t hosting providers–they would rent their boxes with the OS already installed. But for our mass-hosting customers, on which we have to focus our sales attention, it obviously makes a lot of sense.

I’ll add this to my todo list. Expect it in the next couple of weeks (and please ping me, if I forget).

Hi Joe,
Yeah, me too!
Not just for Resellers, but people professionally needing to add lotsa domains for marketing campaigns, too.
(When some of us get going… finally) :slight_smile:

Himagain

Not just for Resellers, but people professionally needing to add lotsa domains for marketing campaigns, too.

We’re talking two different things here.

You can already script creation of domains–everything in the Virtualmin UI is scriptable. To create a domain:

/usr/sbin/virtualmin create-domain --domain example.com --pass password

And, of course, all options are also available. Extensive documentation is available for the command line tools here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,command_line_api/

What David is wishing for is a Red Hat kickstart configuration file, which with the proper setup (including a tftp server, DHCPd, and a netboot configuration) allows someone to rapidly install many identical machines with an identical software stack. Unless you’ve got a dozen identical servers (or a few hundred or a few thousand) that need an identical OS and Virtualmin installation, then you don’t want the hassle of setting up the kickstart environment. :wink: