Hot do I user Horde or RoundCube?

I created users just through the “Edit Email and FTP Users” link. Once I create them I login to RoundCube or Horde through www.mydomain.tld. I don’t see any email although I have sent various test emails to this new account. The only place I see the emails is if I click on the actual username I create in “Edit Email and FTP Users” and then click on their email directory path. From there I can read the emails and even send. Why won’t horde or roundcube display these messages?

Thanks

I don’ know if this may have anything to do with it but when I logged into usermin to check the email instead, I get this error:

"Failed to open IMAP mailbox : Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information."

When I look at the logs, I see that the user doesn’t have permission to create directories:

Jun 25 07:49:16 hosting dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<myusername>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, secured
Jun 25 07:49:16 hosting dovecot: IMAP(myusername): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/index/myusername/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
Jun 25 07:49:16 hosting dovecot: IMAP(myusername): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/index/myusername/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
Jun 25 07:49:16 hosting dovecot: IMAP(myusername): Disconnected

You need to run the following command as root:

chmod 755 /var/lib/dovecot /var/lib/dovecot/index /var/lib/dovecot/control

That will fix your issue.

tauvix,

The permissions are fine and are showing 755. Still get the same error and the logs are still reporting permission denied.

Thanks for your quick reply :slight_smile:

Try restarting dovecot after resetting those permissions. It shouldn’t need it, but it’s worth a try.

Then do a “tail -f /var/log/maillog” and while watching the logfile, attempt to login to get your mail through Horde. Please post what error messages you’re getting now, and we’ll help figure out what’s going on there.

Ok, so I restarted and still no luck. I had to make both control and index to permissions 1777 so that when that user logs in, it can create the …/userdir/.INBOX. Seems like it needs to be 7 for EVERYONE or else it won’t be able to create anything. This is not a good thing of course…hmmm

Still investigating but if you guys have anymore suggestions, please let me know

Thanks a bunch
G

The index and control directories need to be 777, not 755. (/var/lib/dovecot can/should be 755).

chmod 777 /var/lib/dovecot/index /var/lib/dovecot/control

This is not a good thing of course...hmmm

It’s actually perfectly fine. It’s just like a tmp directory or a mail spool–only data files go there, and they’re created as the user that owns them. (777 on /var/lib/dovecot, on the other hand, would potentially be a problem, since those log files are probably opened while Dovecot is still “root” or “mail”, which I suppose could be tricked into doing something nasty via links or pipes or something funny.)

Joe,

Thanks a bunch for your response on this :-).

tauvix, thanks again for your help as well :slight_smile: