Hostname www.domain.com provided via SNI and hostname subdomain.domain.com provided via HTTP have no compatible SSL setup

Hi,

I have a root domain with a wildcard SSL certificate. I created a subdomain as a subserver. The subdomain is used as a repository for images and videos. The main domain contains the website and embeds images and videos present in the subdomain.

Whenever someone with Safari browser visits the site they have trouble loading the content.

The following apache error is given:

Hostname www.domain.com provided via SNI and hostname subdomain.domain.com provided via HTTP have no compatible SSL setup

HTTP2 is enabled on the server and I know going back to 1.1 should fix it. However I would like to solve the problem by keeping the HTTP2 protocol.

The same wildcard SSL certificate is installed on both the domain and the subdomain. So what is the different setup the error is talking about?

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Rocky Linux 9.1
Virtualmin version 7.5

Why not just give the sub it’s own cert ? Ref to the sub domain should work correctly

I tried but the error still occurs.

So you can access the sub domain ok with it’s correct certificate?

Yes, via browser it accesses correctly both with the dedicated certificate and with the wildcard certificate. However when the browser is Safari that error message is generated, and some content is not executed. For example .mp4 videos.

I don’t know if it could be because I’m using Server Aliases:

ServerName cdn.domain.com
ServerAlias cdn-a.domain.com
ServerAlias cdn-b.domain.com
ServerAlias cdn-c.domain.com
ServerAlias cdn-d.domain.com
ServerAlias cdn-e.domain.com
[...]

The html code in domain.com then calls images and videos directly from the alias url, for example
https://cdn-b.domain.com/vid-873673487.mp4

If I host the video directly in the main domain (https://domain.com/vid-873673487.mp4), Safari play the video.

No problem with Chrome or others browser. Only Safary (mac, ipad, iphone).

are there error’s in the safari console when you access data that is located in the sub domain from the main domain ? Option + ⌘ + C

Yes, in Safari console the error is:

safari failed to load resource plugin handled load

perhaps look at this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18103103/failed-to-load-resource-plugin-handled-load-on-ios

Yes, I’ve already checked everything about it, but the strange thing is that if I upload the video to the domain.com virtual host everything works fine. And the configuration is the same.

did you read the whole thread ? there are many ways this error can occur and some dependant on where the resources are stored.
so you can access the resource correct via subdomain.domain/mp4/this.mp4 (this is an example use the correct url) via safari ?
point 2 is then domain using wordpress & trying to serve the content ? if so look near the bottom of the thread which indicates you need to alter your .htaccess file

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.