Host disk resize / increase not reflected in Webmin

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 2.013

After applying an increased disk quota/space to the virtual machine hosting Webmin / Virtualmin CentOS sever this additional space is not seen by Webmin / Virtualmin. Please can someone advise how to adjust this in Webmin / Virtualmin i.e. make the new disk quota available to be used by Webmin / Virtualmin?

Thanks in advance!

check out webmin->hardware->logical volume management
post back the details
in physical volumes you should see the actual disk size.
I had a similar problem when I increased the disk size on a hosted vps, the only fix for it was to reprovision the VPS, which as your using an old OS it may be worth doing a reprovision with a more up to date OS. if you do this don’t forget to backup your virtual servers to a safe location (somewhere other than the vps you are going to reprovision)

Did you resize the filesystem or just the volume? The Virtualmin disk usage graphs and stuff is showing you usable filesystem space, not the volumes.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

This issue has been solved by following this guide…

Resize the primary disk

Out of interest is there any built-in tool in Webmin to do this task?

I guess this is the answer

Ah OK, I see under the physical device there is a button ‘Resize to match physical volume’ is that what I could use in the future?

If you are using LVM, there are physical volumes (PVs), logical volumes (LVs), and filesystems. Resizing PVs will not alter LV size, and resizing LVs will not alter filesystem size. The filesystem is what determines how much space there is for files.

Webmin has modules for managing volumes and filesystems. Disk and Network Filesystems is where you manage filesystems, but it does not support resizing, as far as I know. You’ll need to do that on the command line. It’s not something that should happen very often (it is a potentially risky operation).

There are many ways to configure disks in Linux. There’s also software RAID, but LVM can do most things you’d want to use RAID for, and it’s better for future management. It’s worth understanding what you’re doing when embarking on potentially dangerous operations that can destroy all your data in an instant with one wrong command line flag.

Great thanks for clarifying Joe :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.