Home directories for FTP users

I am setting up a server using Virtualmin GPL. No mail just web and ftp users. I want it to create a home dir separate from the public_html folder for each ftp user that is created by a web admin. Currently ftp logs them in to the public_html folder. Is there a way through virtualmin to change this behavior?

the public_html folder is a part of the domains home directory…

when creating a ftp user, you can change the directory it needs to connect to in the "Quota and home directory settings"

Then there are some settings in the servers template under proftp directive which might interest you.

No mail just web and ftp users. I want it to create a home dir separate from the public_html folder for each ftp user that is created by a web admin. Currently ftp logs them in to the public_html folder. Is there a way through virtualmin to change this behavior?

The behavior your describe only matches the user type explicitly designed for logging into the sites public_html. A normal Mail and FTP user cannot (easily) end up in public_html. Create a normal user, and it will get its own home. In other words, click "Add a user to this server." instead of "Add a website FTP access user." The key bit there is the "[em]website[/em]", which is trying to express that the user is only for editing website content.

You can enable FTP for regular users, and they’ll get their own home directory.

Thanks for you reply. Clearly I am missing something here.
When a Virtual server admin is logged in I do not see an “Add a user to this server.” Under ‘Servers’ - ‘Virtual E-Mail’ theres is an ‘Add Virtual E-Mail & Ftp Users’ which is what I have been using.
Sorry to be dense but if you can direct me to what you are refering to that would be great

Joe Thanks just worked out what you where refering to and it works. Thanks!

Ah, OK, so you’ve got the virtual server owner extremely restricted, but I think the actual form should be identical.

On the page that you get when you click "Add Virtual Email and FTP Users" do you not have two Add links? One on the left labeled "Add a user to this server." and one on the right labeled "Add a website FTP access user."?

You want the former and not the latter. The former is designed solely for the purpose of editing website content…and so can only ever behave in the way you describe.

The former is designed solely for the purpose of editing website content

Obviously, I meant latter, here. :wink: