Holy crap, let's break some more stuff! (software repositories moving to new server)

Because our week has not been exciting enough with fun new bugs and confusing license problems, I’m moving our software repositories (software.virtualmin.com, cloudmin.virtualmin.com, latest-scripts.virtualmin.com, scripts.virtualmin.com) to a new server. This shouldn’t adversely effect anyone, and no one should notice any downtime (DNS should have time to propagate while I go eat dinner, and then I’m heading to the data center to perform some upgrades on the old server before putting it back into service as a mirror of the new repo server).

But, because we’ve been juggling a lot of eggs this week, and I’ve gotten confused more than once about the order of things needing to happen in order to avoid downtime (it’s been a while since I was doing daily server migrations…the skills get a little rusty), so I wouldn’t be surprised if something goes wonky with this, as well.

So, if you see problems with your updates or fresh installs (like a missing software.virtualmin.co server) in the next few hours, feel free to drop me a note here on this forum post. If there are problems I should be able to fix them quickly.

That said, this will resolve the license expiration inconsistencies that people have been seeing. The new server checks licenses, and authenticates, directly against the current software license repository, so synchronization is no longer required. Licenses will once again be instantly available after purchase, and you should always be able to access active licenses from the download repository.



an apt-get update results in:

W: Failed to fetch http://download.webmin.com/download/repository/dists/sarge/Release.gpg Could not connect to download.webmin.com:80 ( - connect (110: Connection timed out)

W: Failed to fetch http://download.webmin.com/download/repository/dists/sarge/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages Unable to connect to download.webmin.com:http:

W: Failed to fetch http://download.webmin.com/download/repository/dists/sarge/contrib/binary-i386/Packages Unable to connect to download.webmin.com:http:

W: Failed to fetch http://download.webmin.com/download/repository/dists/sarge/contrib/i18n/Translation-en_US Unable to connect to download.webmin.com:http:

W: Failed to fetch http://download.webmin.com/download/repository/dists/sarge/contrib/i18n/Translation-en Unable to connect to download.webmin.com:http:

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I’m pretty sure that one has been fixed. I actually didn’t even know the Webmin repos were on one of our servers until I’d shut it down…they used to run on the SourceForge servers, but after the several days long outage they had, I guess Jamie moved them back locally. (I realized it while talking to Jamie about what all needed to come back up.) :wink:

Regardless, it should be back up now.

Thanks for the heads up!

well I followed the instruction to add virtualmin source on ubuntu(i followed debian link here) but the latest versions apt find are webmin 1.780 and virtualmin 4.13.gpl :frowning:

Hmmm…I’m surprised the Webmin repository has Virtualmin in it at all! I’ll talk to Jamie about that at our next meeting, to see if maybe the old ones should be removed.

For Virtualmin, you should definitely use the software.virtualmin.com respositories. They are back up now (I tried to achieve a “no downtime” migration, and the reasons it stopped working are bizarre and confusing; related to database permissions and reverse DNS, not web service) and I think mostly working again (a couple of ancillary services are still out of whack, like install script ratings, but the core license stuff is back).

Apologies for the inconvenience. Our infrastructure has gotten quite complex over the years (Webmin is 18 years old this year, and Virtualmin is 11 as a company and 13 as a project), and there are so many moving parts in our repository and licensing systems. I’m trying to reduce the complexity, so we can move faster without breaking things, but in the process, I seem to be breaking a lot of things. The good news is, we’re moving very, very, fast. The bad news is we’re getting a bit bruised up in the process. Things will settle down for Virtualmin next week, when we start focusing on getting Cloudmin into shape for a major new release.

sorry I can’t remember how I installed webmin and then virtualmin software.virtualmin.com are password protected

I opened a dedicated thread about my problem upgrading here: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/39332