Hi !! Need help

Im a newbie to servers.
somehow i managed to install Virtualmin.(thanks to everybody)

My problem is
when i try to create a subdomain i get a error
"""Error
Failed to create virtual server : Virtual FTP cannot be enabled unless a virtual IP address is allocated"

then I searched the internet and some told me to uncheck the "proftpd server" box in the "Features and Plugins"

I tryed to do that but even for that i get a error
""Failed to save enabled features : The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www, but the Virtualmin base directory is /home. CGI and PHP scripts run as domain owners will not be executed""

please if some one can give step by step instruction to this matter i would realy appriciate it…

also i got another problem
I create users (Mail and FTP Users)
but for user name I put "gayan"
but the system automaticly plus up another word same as my root folder "gayan.ozgayan"

why is this??

please help

Im a newbie to servers.

It’s no problem, we’re all new sometime :slight_smile:

When you’re creating a new Virtual Server, in the “Enabled features” section of the screen, one of the options is “Setup IP-based virtual FTP”.

You’ll probably want to uncheck that.

You do want “FTP” in general, but the above option is special and does something you aren’t likely to need at the moment.

However, the “suexec” related message you’re getting is the more troubling of the above :slight_smile:

How did you go about getting Virtualmin installed?

That particular error suggests that you may have done it the hard way, unfortunately :slight_smile:

There is an install.sh script that actually does all the work for you, pulling in the various packages you need and configuring them.

The suexec error means that the Apache related packages you have installed are the ones supplied by your distribution, rather than by Virtualmin (a problem normally resolved by the install.sh script).

The worse news, though, is that there may still be some headaches lingering if you hadn’t installed with the install.sh. Is your server live yet? If not, you might really consider starting fresh, and using that script to do a lot of the work here for you!

That’s just a suggestion though, it’s certainly possible to get the system up and running without doing that.
-Eric

if you are new to servers you definitely want to follow Eric’s advice and reinstall through the install.sh script.

Doing it the hard way is no pleasure at all.

Thank you for your reply’s
I’ll try to install using install.sh and reaply
with the progress.

if somebody can tell me how to copy the install.sh
to the server that would be great!

Thank you

I would suggest to first reinstall the basic OS.
Then login over ssh and do a wget to get the install.sh on your server
(or download and then use ftp to upload it)
When you got it on you server, execute it.

login over ssh
then at the command line copy&paste the following commands one by one

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh

if you have the Pro version, login to you account to get it

Hi ronald

When i try to use the wget command
"wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh"

gives this error
"Temporary failiure in name resolution"

perhaps virtualmin had an hicup.
i can download just fine just now by clicking that link.
try again and see if it works for you

No still I get the same error

You don’t have a working network, then. Either DNS service isn’t working, or something else is broken. You can’t install (or do anything else network-related) without fixing the network problems.

So, narrow it down…is it just DNS? Can you lookup other hostnames? Can you ping us by IP (70.86.4.238)? Can you traceroute to us?

I’ve had no indications that software.virtualmin.com, or the name servers for virtualmin.com, have been unavailable for any amount of time in the past several weeks. So, the problems are between you and us (and out of our control).

no I cant ping or look for other hosts
where should i start
??

1 network settings
2 firewall
3 dns