Heztner Server UFW Firewall Virtualmin Firewalld

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.2-1 Pro
Related packages UFW FirewallD

After many hr’s rebooting hetzern server from rescue system the server website ssh was unreachable nothing would solve the issue of UFW being uninstalled after every reboot and the same problem existed so the solution was this.
Boot in to the rescue system form your Hetzner robot account once you have ssh console up and running just to add, this is if you are going to remove UFW firewall which in this case i would suggest doing so.

UFW Firewall fix

This fixed the issue

sudo mount /dev/md2 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
sudo chroot /mnt

apt-get purge ufw

exit

sudo umount /mnt/sys
sudo umount /mnt/proc
sudo umount /mnt/dev
sudo umount /mnt
reboot
and now server is accepting SSH connections…

Then activate FirewallD from webmin make this your default Great no more issue with rebooting the server.

I am no more than a novice with Virtual min but based on my experience here, you really need to provide a bit more information so that the experts can help you.

@kahs55,

UFW and FirewallD are two different firewall management interfaces. Is there an actual question?

*** Professional, Affordable, Trusted Technical Assistance – tpnAssist.com ***

You are a novice; you will acquire mind-reading skills over time. Keep participating in the forums.

Thank you for the reply every time i applied the UFW firewall settings which were saved.
These were the standard basic settings applied whilst setting up the server but after numerous reboots and continually not being able to ssh in to the server the only solution was to remove UFW firewall and reboot the server this was a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04 and virtualmin pro. so i activated Firewalld from with in Webmin. and all services were reachable i havent found or looked at any other reason it was mentioned to me by Hetzner that the reason the server was unreachable was due to a soft ware issue.

Thank you for your wisdom i will keep it in mind

i suppose the question was why is UFW? is causing the server to be unreachable after a reboot and completely uninstalling from the system this discovered with the command ufw status which resulted in no such command etc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.