HELP - all my virtual server shown as numbers!!!

I just noticed a couple minutes ago that ALL my virtual servers shown as numbers inside virtual-server list.

Any idea how this happens and how to convert/show it back as before?

Some example:
I host abcdefghij.com (just an example), inside virtualmin configuration under /etc/webmin/virtual-server/domains, the virtual server id shown as 1234567890 and that’s the name shown after I logged in as superuser in webmin’s virtual server (instead of abcdefghij.com)

Several things to note:

• I did not upgrade/ update my system (Gentoo Linux running inside VMWare Server)
  • No configuration changes had taken place (or up to my best knowledge. but all access log has been checked and I was the only one accessing it several days ago and did nothing, just a plain simple admin routing login and log-checking)
  • all virtual server names that has been registered in there are now shown as numbers instead of names
  • when I tried creating a new server, the new one shown as names

Can anyone enlighten me what happened here?

Thanks in advanced :slight_smile:

DC
still in shocked mode on this happening

… after calming down a little bit, I found out that the map.* contents screwed up :frowning:
Mainly the alias, dom, gid, parent, subdom and user are all changed into a single line starting with ‘=’ sign, those file resided in /etc/webmin/virtual-server inside my setup.

i.e.: if I have domain abc1.com abc2.com and abc.com each having id 123111 123222 and 123000 respectively, the contents of map.alias will be:
=123000 123111 123222 124000 124111 124222
(I have no idea why it have to start with ‘=’ sign)

Furthermore, the usual map.dom that consist of:
abc.com=123000
abc1.com=123111
abc2.com=123222
… (for other three domain number alias above)
… now becomes:
=123000 123111 123222 124000 124111 124222
as well … (???)

Lucky enough, I have the webmin backup in the secondary location that still keeps the backup for longer retention period.

So … here’s what I did to restore it:
restore all virtual server, but only use the ‘restore webmin config only’ checked, and all other features to be ‘selected features only’.
After a couple of tests with smaller backup size and proven succesful, then I start ‘dumping’ back the remaining virtual-server backup configurations.

The painful part is that several domains have several gigs of backup file, and during the restore, virtualmin must extract those file(s) in order to get the ‘.backup’ information from within the archive.

Looks like I can propose for several feature(s) here:

• let the restore function only look for certain part(s) in the archive for restore, instead of extracting the whole compressed backup file (sorry, I might be asking too much, but I believe there is a parameter that we can pass up to do the extraction and look for certain file within the .tar.gz)
  • put a ‘commented line’ before each domain within map.*. This will leave us traces if we have the situation like mine here. Lucky for me that I only have around tens of domains to restore. Imagine if it is the big ISP/ hosting that runs several hundreds/ thousands of domains with several tens of gigs of backup file to take care in order to restore the whole set.

I will post the update once all server has been restored :wink:

That’s odd :slight_smile:

Glad you have it restored though!

Any idea what may have happened to cause that? Had it only happened to you this one time?

If there’s any chance that it’s reproducible, I’m sure Jamie would love to fix it.

Thanks,
-Eric

Sorry for posting on an ancient thread, but the same has happened to me on a virtualmin 3.92 GPL server. It’s hosted on a VPS and was recently moved from one kvm host to another, and now all of the domains are showing as numbers (there are only 4 on the server, and probably ~20 users in total).

The sites are working perfectly, it’s just virtualmin which is ‘broken’. None of the domains are editable in virtualmin, scheduled backups don’t work etc…

As an example, my map.dom is now:
=133011709025387 133563977818489 13302852361998 133011608717232

Unfortunately, the backups are out of date (as it hasn’t backed up for a few days due to the problems which forced us to move the VPS), so I’d prefer to fix this manually if possible.

My options are…
1, Try to work out what the numbers correspond to, and rebuild the files manually
2, Restore the out of date backup to another vps and copy the map.* files over. If I do restore the backup to a clean virtualmin install, will the numbers still correspond to the same users/domains etc…?

The VPS did have hard drive problems (caused by the kvm host), so I’m guessing that fsck somehow broke these files after it was moved.

An update…

I couldn’t recreate the stuff manually, so I booted a new VM and restored my old backups onto it. The new VM shows everything correctly, so I manually copied map.* and domains/* over to the live server.

The domains now have their names back in the select box at the top left of virtualmin, and most stuff appears to be back to normal. The only outstanding problem is when I select ‘edit users’ for a domain - the wrong users have been assigned to each domain (not a major problem for me because I’m the only virtualmin user on the system).

Now I just need to find out where these mappings are (I assumed they would be one of the map.* files, but it appears not)

OK, I think I’ve managed to get it back to normal. When virtualmin restores a backup, it doesn’t maintain user/group id’s.

To fix this, I had to make sure the users and groups were correct in each of the domain/* files, and also in map.gid

I don’t recommend anyone attempt it, it was painful :frowning:

Hello all,

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but the same happend to me.
I have 77 virtual servers on my server, and 4 of them only show their ID. The map.dom shows:

legiscor.com.br=148044546530013
=139361315343882 14533898921115 142707176235109 141236246495481
diad.cory.com.br=151542292818841

How can I fix this problem? I don’t know what domains are these IDs.
Is there a virtual server creation log, where I could see what those domains are?

My system:

Operating system CentOS Linux 7.4.1708
Webmin version 1.872
Usermin version 1.734
Virtualmin version 6.02
Theme version Authentic Theme 19.07
Firewall version ConfigServer Security & Firewall 11.07
Time on system Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:44 PM
Kernel and CPU Linux 3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64 on x86_64

Thank you
Rogerio