Granting Access

Hi guys, I wanted to install a new theme with wordpress and it asked my ftp info, I did give the domain owner ftp info but it couldnt create a folder this is why the installation failed … how can I increase the permisions of my domain owner, actually make my domain owner like root who also can access from port 21! :slight_smile:

Thanks
Anarchy

Howdy,

By default, a Virtual Server owner would have rights to upload and create files within the web root for their Virtual Server.

It they can’t – it may be due to using the root user. If you were to create a folder in a users public_html directory as root, that folder would be owned as root – and the Virtual Server owner would not be able to create sub-folders within that folder.

What you would need to do is log in as the root user, and correct the permissions on the various files/directories there so that they’re all owned as the Virtual Server owner, and not the root user.

-Eric

Well I didnt create public_html with root, it was already there, after converting my cpanel backup, but it is true that I did lots of modifications with root, I created the wordpress folder with root for example, can it be because of this?So I want to now give the wordpress or public_html rights to the domain owner, is this going to be from ssh or webmin?If webmin how?Where to click?

Thanks a lot for the answer, at least I know now why :slight_smile:

After a little bit google I found :

chown [ -fRh ] owner filelist

so in my case this would be :

chown -fRh domainowner foldername?

I created the wordpress folder with root for example, can it be because of this?

Yup! It’s likely because of that.

So I want to now give the wordpress or public_html rights to the domain owner, is this going to be from ssh or webmin?If webmin how?Where to click?

You can do this from SSH, FTP, or Webmin.

With FTP or Webmin, you can use a GUI, which might make things simpler. In Webmin, you can use the file manager in Webmin -> Others -> File Manager.

You can do it via SSH with the command “chown -R USERNAME:GROUPNAME directory” – but that’s a dangerous command to run… if you run it in the wrong place, it could leave your system in a non-working state. So you can run that command if you’re certain about what directory you’re running it on, or you can use the GUI, which might make things a little easier :slight_smile:

-Eric