Google reCAPTCHA in webmin login

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.3
Webmin version 2.105

Hello everyone!
I was just wondering if there is any chance to enable a Google reCAPTCHA module on the Webmin login page (the one on port 10000).

Thanks

BTW, I have just tried and fail2ban is working (I have configured the webmin-auth filter effectively).
My question here is about another kind of protection.
Thanks.

Hello,

@GSEPE We don’t have support for reCAPTCHA, at least not yet. @Jamie, what are your thoughts on it?

I suppose we could add it relatively easily, as an option for admins who want it. As long as there are no fees or limits on usage…

There’s a risk that network misconfiguration or a name lookup failure could make it impossible to login to Webmin. Not a problem for users comfortable with ssh, but I think it’s worth including a warning somewhere in the help text.

mandate as “option” and default to “no” we have managed without it and certainly do not need it. It is a blight on the internet and is a useless complication for those of us who are disabled or who have systems set up to block it and it’s ilk.

I cannot see the justification for it.

Oh, it’d definitely be an option.

But, also, you’re right that it has become less useful. “AI” has been shown to be as good or better at solving CAPTCHA than humans. So, it’s kinda just adding annoyance for humans without preventing spammers and scammers, as automatic solvers advance.

1 Like

AI is overkill given the rates in India.
www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=captcha+jobs+in+india&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

First result:
"Captcha typers jobs allow individuals to earn money online by solving captchas. The job requires good typing speed, attention to detail, patience, and good vision. If you have all these requirements, then this becomes an easy typing job.

On average, individuals can earn between $0.25 to $1 per 1,000 captchas solved. There are various reputable sites that offer captcha typing jobs with flexible working hours and good pay rates. Here will look for online captcha solving jobs in detail"

Sites like this one might catch a few unambitious spammers with captcha.

Serious security for your Webmin/Virtualmin interface would be 2 Factor Authentication. Captcha is like an opium laced pacifier. It might make you feel good as it makes you nod off…

Agreed on 2FA.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.