Getting "Failed to reload daemon: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1'"

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.6
Webmin version 2.021
Virtualmin version 7.5
Related packages SUGGESTED

About 3 weeks ago I started getting the message " Failed to reload daemon: Failed to activate service ‘org.freedesktop.systemd1’ " doing a system update via Webmin.

The issue has also caused Webmin / Virtualmin to slow down to a crawl. But the server seems to be running OK and accessing web-site on server has no slowdown.

I’ve hunted on-line for a solution found a couple, but none seem to work. I’m also worried that a reboot might actually fail as a couple of people reported that side-effect.

Are there any words of wisdom that could help me out?

Kind Regards, Nigel.

This isn’t a Webmin question. Webmin just runs your package manager (apt on Ubuntu) to perform system updates.

You’re welcome to ask here, of course, but it’s probably not the best place to ask, since we don’t maintain systemd or any Ubuntu standard packages; I have no idea what’s happening here, I’d just be googling it, like you. Probably https://askubuntu.com is the best place for this sort of question (and I wouldn’t mention Webmin, as it definitely isn’t related to this error, and when you mention any management GUI on most of the question boards they get huffy and go off on a rant about using the command line, and ignore the problem).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.