FTP public_html seems to have a sym link to domains/DOMAIN/public_html

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.4
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0

I’ve been using Virtualmin for a week and so far I’m loving it.

I’ve set up a few servers and they’re all running fine, apart from one.

On one server when I login via FTP client, and try to access ‘public_html’, it immediately bounces me to ‘/domains/DOMAIN/public_html’.

I never set up a symlink so I’m not sure why it’s happening. It’s only this domain.

If I try to access a folder, I get this…

550 /domains/DOMAIN/public_html/cgi-bin: No such file or directory

I’ve looked all over for a setting that might be causing this, but I can’t find anything.

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Lux

It might have to do with the user you are logging in as. I think every user will have an assigned default directory. Might need a little more information on the domain and how the user was created.

Ok is this a sub server or a top level server ?

I think the top level owner is the only one with default access to the default web area. I think others are given access to their own space. I’m not sure. Been over a year since I created spaces.

It’s a top level server and the user is the owner.

Lux

Did you create a ftp user?

What if you log into the top user Virtualmin panel and use file manager? Do you see the same?

@stefan1959 I normally just use the main account as ftp login, and it usually works fine. Earlier today I did create a dedicated ftp user and that logged in to the public_html folder as normal, so it’s OK, I guess.

@ID10T strangely enough when I look in file manager there is no ‘domains’ folder for this user but when I look at the other accounts, there is a ‘domains’ folder. Not sure if that’s a clue as to what the issue might be.

As I mentioned though, creating a dedicated ftp user has kind of fixed the issue, so it’s not that big of a deal.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Lux

1 Like