FTP not working for any server except root

FTP in general is a very insecure way to go about doing things. That’s why most people no longer use it. That is the point everybody has made that you keep ignoring.

2 Likes

Because secure FTP is referred to as SFTP by… well, pretty much everyone except you.

Are PAM and Password Authentication enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

While you’re in there you may also want to change the default port to an unused one, and restart sshd.

Richard

2 Likes

I’ll change the port. But you’re looking in the wrong place. The FTP user created from webmin does not have SSH access as I showed before. Either I have to give him SSH access or enable SFTP server.

if I am b0t? let me laugh. thanks for your kind reply. I hope so others would be more helpful then me.

2 Likes

let make some obvious stuff out of the way…

SSH = SFTP and have nothing to do with FTP accounts…

secured FTP = FTPS not SFTP

those are two different things. People will assume only what one tell or ask them, no one can see other ones mind. I think question was already answered by two people here. have nice day.

edit to make it obvious, SSH is separate server from FTP server

1 Like

Thanks for telling me about the SFTP and FTPS thing. I didn’t know that. My program has options for SCP (currently using), SFTP and FTP.

Here’s article with the HOWTO for FTPS I wrote, of course you’d need to remove TLS 1, 1.1, SSL 2, 3, etc.

https://archive.virtualmin.com/node/29262

I can’t secure SFTP enough to make me happy so I’ve been using FTPS since 2013.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.