FTP and outging mail from client problems

As per the end of my DNS thread everything is working apart from two issues thanks to ronald.

The first issues is I cant connect to any of my virtual servers via ftp:

In virtualmin system information ProFTPd FTP Server is not running, when I try to enable it I get the following error:

Failed to start service :

• Starting ftp server proftpd
  • warning: unable to determine IP address of ‘ns1.flirtsnflings.com_’
  • error: no valid servers configured
  • Fatal: error processing configuration file ‘/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf’
    …fail!

I tired to edit the /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf and remove the _ from the end of ns1.flirtsnflings.com but its not in that file.

The second issue is sending outgoing mail from thunderbird email client. I can receive mails but I cannot send them it just continually asks for the password even though i know its correct. I seen in the forums this issues has been mentioned before but I was unable to find the solution. Both sending and receiving os working fine from within usermin.

as for the mail I think this may have to do with your TLS settings in thunderbird. I would disable them if they are enabled atm and enable them if they were disabled atm. And see how that goes.

ftp -> Joe, Eric?

oh and you can always use port 22 in your ftp client…

Iv tired the mail on all setting still the same.
Whats the deal with ftp on port 22 again? that does seem to be working

Just to get one thing straight ProFTPd FTP Server is supposed to be running after a default installation of virtualmin using the install script correct?

port 22 is the ssh server which is a secure way of logging into your server. You can use your ftpclient to upload files to your server. So its not proftp, but the ssh server (and is preferred actually)

proftp should be running on a default installation, but you had trouble with FQDN which may have messed up something which I can not find.

if you save passwords in thunderbird, try deleting it for joomlaplazza and empty the cache if there is such thing. I think somehow you got the wrong password in thunderbird. Or try another mailclient to test. evolution, mulberry etc.

BTW in the documentation here: http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/email/pop-and-imap

look at the bottom part contributed by a member. For thunderbird to login it needs ftp access as well and that’s not working yet with you. Per haps the two are related…

I found this thread where a guys is having the same problem but mine is worse because I cant even send when auth is off.

http://www.virtualmin.com/node/9441

He says something about enabling SMTPS and/or Submission in Postfix, so I enabled those and restarted postfix but no difference

What are we talking about here? Mail or FTP? If mail, sending or receiving or both? (All different servers, all different protocols, and all have different troubleshooting steps and solutions.)

If mail, the maillog is where all answers will be found, so we’ll want to see the relevant entries from the maillog.

we are talking about mail and FTP as separate issues. But id like to deal with the FTP first

ProFTPd FTP is down and i get this error when i try to restart it

Failed to start service :

* Starting ftp server proftpd
* warning: unable to determine IP address of 'ns1.flirtsnflings.com_'
* error: no valid servers configured
* Fatal: error processing configuration file '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf' ...fail!

any ideas Joe?

* warning: unable to determine IP address of 'ns1.flirtsnflings.com_'

So this one means DNS still isn’t setup right.

What do you get when you run:

host ns1.flirtsnflings.com

I get a reasonable response back when I look it up from my neck of the woods, but for some reason your system isn’t able to look it up. Figuring out why is the first step.

I get

ns1.flirtsnflings.com has address 94.76.201.163

which is fine but if you notice in the error message its ns1.flirtsnflings.com_ with an _ at the end of it, I dont know where the _ is coming from?

which is fine but if you notice in the error message its ns1.flirtsnflings.com_ with an _ at the end of it, I dont know where the _ is coming from?

Yeah, that’s whack. Do you have a typo in your /etc/hosts file or in hostname?

Na both /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname are fine. Was the first thing i checked(im learning ;)). Hence im stumped.

Try:

grep -R flirtsnflings.com_ /etc/*

See if maybe there’s some configuration somewhere about that.

And, refresh my memory on what “hostname -f” returns?

grep -R flirtsnflings.com_ /etc/* /etc/apache2/sites-available/flirtsnflings.com.conf:ErrorLog /var/log/virtualmin /flirtsnflings.com_error_log /etc/apache2/sites-available/flirtsnflings.com.conf:CustomLog /var/log/virtualmi n/flirtsnflings.com_access_log combined /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/flirtsnflings.com.conf:ErrorLog /var/log/virtualmin/f lirtsnflings.com_error_log /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/flirtsnflings.com.conf:CustomLog /var/log/virtualmin/ flirtsnflings.com_access_log combined /etc/awstats/awstats.flirtsnflings.com.conf:LogFile=/var/log/virtualmin/flirtsnf lings.com_access_log /etc/awstats/awstats.www.flirtsnflings.com.conf:LogFile=/var/log/virtualmin/flir tsnflings.com_access_log grep: /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-defoma.conf: No such file or directory /etc/logrotate.conf:/var/log/virtualmin/flirtsnflings.com_access_log /var/log/vi rtualmin/flirtsnflings.com_error_log { /etc/webmin/syslog/flirtsnflings.acl:extras=/var/log/virtualmin/flirtsnflings.co m_access_log Apache access log for flirtsnflings.com /var/log/virtualmin/flir tsnflings.com_error_log Apache error log for flirtsnflings.com /etc/webmin/webalizer/flirtsnflings.acl:dir=/var/log/virtualmin/flirtsnflings.co m_access_log /etc/webmin/webalizer/var_log_virtualmin_flirtsnflings.com_access_log.conf:LogFi le /var/log/virtualmin/flirtsnflings.com_access_log

hostname -f is returning:

hostname: Unknown host

hostname -f is returning:

hostname: Unknown host

What?!? That makes no sense.

What’s in /etc/hosts?

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost 94.76.201.163 ns1.flirtsnflings.com ns1 94.76.201.164 ns2.flirtsnflings.com ns2

Looks right.

What’s in the “hosts:” line in /etc/nsswitch.conf?

passwd: compat

group: compat

shadow: compat

hosts: files dns

networks: files

protocols: db files

services: db files

ethers: db files

rpc: db files

netgroup: nis

In my system FTP is running as nobody and is User:Group-> ftp:ftp

in your system it’s running as ftp:nogroup. That may cause it as it may not have the correct permissions?

edit: If I recall you also made a virtual server or user called FTP … You may want to get rid of it. And check the users:group module found under webmin