From cpanel - cannot make virtual servers/sites work

HI, am coming from cPanel and someone suggested I switch to VM…
moved 2 cpanel-backups so far (websites

I cannot make any of them work

1. seems I cannot activate SSL, get this error message:
    " Error ### Invalid SSL certificate : Certificate is for *.myXXXX.is, not XXXthefield.com. Certificate is for myXXX.is, not XXXthefield.com."
    It looks like it treies to use another certificate for this website?? I have no idea how to solve this, has somebody an idea??

2. website shows " Service Unavailable - The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Is it possible that this has to do with proxy: error FCGI: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1 failed ?

Any help is highly appreciated
Thx a million
Dan

Hello @skywalker89 and welcome to the community. Please proceed in the order outlined below:

1. The ‘maintenance downtime or capacity problems’ issue can often be addressed by a two step procedure. First step: Virtualmin -> Server Configuration -> Website Options and in ‘PHP script execution mode’ change to an option other than the one that is selected and hit Save. Second step: change it back again. Visit your website now, it should work!

2. For the SSL issue with the two websites that you have migrated over to Virtualmin from cPanel, you could work around these by regenerating the SSL certificate for the respective domains. You must use Virtualmin to generate the SSL certificates via Let’s Encrypt. This is done via Virtualmin -> Server Configuration -> SSL Certificate; then under the Let’s Encrypt tab, Generate Certificate.
    If you don’t see the SSL Certificate option under Server Configuration then read on: in Virtualmin -> Edit Virtual Server under Enabled Features check the box next to ‘Apache SSL website enabled’. Hit Save and then read this para again. By getting Virtualmin to generate a free SSL certificate from Letsencrypt, you have overwritten whatever certificates that you were using on cPanel with working SSL certificates generated via Virtualmin that you could use temporarily or even permanently.

1 Like

Hi Calport,
thank you so much!! for the warm welcome and help!

Starting with issue #2: I seem to not be able to activate “Apache SSL certificate”… I find the setting, check the Apache SSL option", save…and get error message:

Changing IP address of virtual website …
… done

… Webalizer reporting failed! : Failed to open /home/jedi/.stats-htpasswd for writing : Permission denied

Creating SSL certificate and private key …
… SSL website failed! : Failed to open /home/jedi/ssl.cert.webmintmp.24290 : Permission denied at /usr/libexec/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1496, line 1.

Updating Webmin user …
… done

Updating Webmin user …
… done

Saving server details …
… done

Applying web server configuration …
… done

Re-loading Webmin …
… done"

Am lost here

Thank you for any help!
Dan

Virtualmin → Edit Virtual Server under Enabled Features uncheck the box next to “AWstats reporting”. Hit Save. Continue to next step below…

Virtualmin → Limits and Validation under the Fix Permissions tab, select All servers and sub servers yes. Hit Fix Permission

1 Like

Hi Calport,
thank you so much again! Wow, you really know your way around, had to search a lot for the “Limits & Validation”

I believe I correctly followed your instructions, but it still seems I have permission error

"Creating SSL certificate and private key …
… SSL website failed! : Failed to open /home/jedi/ssl.cert.webmintmp.10049 : Permission denied at /usr/libexec/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1496, line 1. "

Sorry for being a PITA :frowning:
Thx
Dan

about my second issue above, tried your instructions, I have 2 php versions /7.3 and 7.4) installed but cannot switch between these (should I be able to?), so I switched to “allow server side includes”, but whenever I hit “SAVE” a new browser tab opens with the known

" Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Seems something is FUBAR

Is Virtualmin so delicate?
Thx a million
Dan

No problem, Dan. Happy to help.

Let’s try this. Virtualmin -> Edit Virtual Server and disable SSL for the domain. Hit Save. Does the domain resolve? Also see https://www.virtualmin.com/node/53637

1 Like

Hi Caloport, thanks again… about 1st issue with SSL Cert… nothing worked nor did I find the files as described in https://www.virtualmin.com/node/53637

BUT: with FTP I found that Virtualmin has given strange Username to many files on Virtual server!
I chowned them to owner of that virtual server, then reset permissions as you have shown me above and then reedited server woth check to “SSL” and saved . and voila!!! it seems to have no issues anymore about SSL … I found a new issue with wordpress and mysql, but will open another thread for that!

THANK YOU!!!

Dan

Interesting, shall file that away for future reference. Thanks for the feedback Dan and all the best with WordPress.

HI thx!
sorry, me again, seems the other issue was not resolved
still get " Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Do you have a hint how to solve this?

Thx again
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.