Fresh install Virtualmin/Webmin 3.86 using 352.89Mb of memory

My VPS on CentOS 5 32 bit. 8 core CPU / 1GB of memory.
before install Virtualmin/Webmin using 13.45Mb of memory.

after fresh install Virtualmin/Webmin 3.86 using 352.89Mb of memory…
by:

mysql (126828 kB) /usr/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-f …

named (111816 kB) /usr/sbin/named -u named

root (41628 kB) /usr/libexec/webmin/proc/index_size.cgi

root (39756 kB) /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

High CPU usage:
root 1.6 % CPU usage(@ 3.40GHz , 8 cores) /usr/libexec/webmin/proc/index_cpu.cgi

I ever install Kloxo on my VPS and got same problem but can fixed with :
[ MySQL High Memory load ]

mv /etc/my.cnf /etc/my.cnf.backup

cp /usr/local/lxlabs/kloxo/file/lowmem/my.cnf.lowmem /etc/my.cnf

service mysqld restart

[ named High Memory load ]
just switch to djbdns/tinydns ( 3-10 Mb memory usage)

anyone on help please how to fixed high memory usage from Fresh install Virtualmin/Webmin 3.86…

352 MB is not really “high memory usage”, considering all the services Virtualmin uses. Apache, Postfix, BIND, MySQL, ClamAV and SpamAssassin (if activated)… All of that together does use quite some memory.

If you absolutely need to reduce that, you should first turn off all features in Virtualmin you don’t need, and then deactivate (not uninstall! can lead to dependency issues) the corresponding Linux services using Webmin “Bootup and Shutdown” module. You can also instruct VM in the initial setup wizard to not pre-load libraries and not use the “domain-lookup” service. All of that of course means your system performance will be considerably degraded.

Each individual service can possibly be configured concerning memory usage too. MySQL has options for that, as does Apache. I’m not aware of BIND options for that though.

But again, if 350 MB memory usage for a full hosting system is too much in your opinion, you might want to re-think that opinion. :wink:

350MB of 1024MB is not high memory usage? It’s fresh install without any config yet… If my VPS have 8GB that will not worry about memory usage…

Kloxo can fixed their issue … and wanna know how to fixed issue with Virtualmin/webmin…

350 of 1025 MB might be a “high percentage”, if you will, but as I said, in absolute figures, 350 MB is not too much for all the services Virtualmin starts by default.

And I gave you some hints how to reduce the memory requirements. I believe there are also some instructions here on the forum or in the documentation section about running Virtualmin in a low-memory environment.

You can apply the same MySQL configuration changes in Virtualmin that you used for this Kloxo thingy. Vmin does not support djbdns/tinydns though.

Then again, if your system uses 33% of its available memory with all required hosting services started up, that’s fine, isn’t it? What’s the problem exactly? What were you planning to use the unused 66% for? :slight_smile:

There are some thoughts here on reducing memory usage:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/low-memory

You could always try using that same my.cnf that you found, there’s no reason that wouldn’t work.

Virtualmin doesn’t support djbdns, only BIND, so you couldn’t change that out.

-Eric