Fresh cPanel to Virtualmin converted

Yes I did convert successyullf and I was very happy but when I visited my url there was still nothing … nothing found … when I want to see(ping www.mysite.com) the ip of my website it is also not possible… I am totally new to webmin and virtualmin, I have no idea what to do …

So let me tell you the steps I watched:

install debian 6
install webmin
install virtualmin
install mail, apache, mysql etc. for virtualmin to work
upload my cPanel backup
convert my cPanel backup

I visit the IP address:

"It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

Now what to do next to make things working and people visiting my website just like in the old times?

Thank you very much,
Anarchy

Howdy,

Well, the way we’d recommend setting up a server and migrating cPanel is:

1. Install your distro (in your case, Debian 6)

2. Install Virtualmin with the install.sh script (available in the Downloads link above)

3. Once Virtualmin is installed, go into Add Servers -> Migrate Virtual Server, and import your cPanel backup

It sounds like you may have done a manual installation (ie, without using the install.sh script).

If so, that’s the more difficult way of going about an install, and a lot of things would need to be manually configured in in order to get them working properly.

If you didn’t use the install.sh, is there any chance you could start over with a fresh install of your OS, and use the install.sh to perform the Virtualmin setup (which handles installing and configuring all the dependencies)?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I did what you told me ,

1. installed fresh os
  2. used install.sh to install virtualmin(this installed webmin and usermin too)
  3. uploaded my cpanel backup and migrated it.
  4. I got the migration successful message.

Now if it is successfull, why dont I see my website(joomla) when I visit the IP address?I see instead the forum(smf), with missing backgroung image.

my website is extracted to home/myCPusername/publich_html
but virtualmin uses var/www for web

So virtualmin knows this is migration why doesnt it extract them to var/www? anyway they arent in var/www but still on the http://My.IP.XXX.XXX, I see the forum … but it is wrong first joomla should come, forum is a subfolder in public_html

Joomla is my main page and forum and gallery are the subfolders but wherever I click on the IP it shows me the forum… I dont know why… but I can do sitepreview on virtualmin, on sitepreview it displays correctly, first joomla and when I click on forum, comes the forum with nice and blue background.There are of course some errors but when I correct the paths or other things these will be eliminated I guess, so where am I doing wrong what do I need to change?

Also the big problem is : when I go to my domain www.mydomain.com : nothing is displayed, my domain is set to ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com and I registered for every name server my IP address.So shouldnt it be working?I am sure there is something wrong with the DNS settings or NS settings but I dont know what …

I know you guys have a real life, wife,kids,school,work … but I dont have any other chance other than this forum, the irc channel is dead, please help me :’(

Anarchy

my website is extracted to home/myCPusername/publich_html but virtualmin uses var/www for web

Actually, Virtualmin uses $HOME/public_html for websites, so the above sounds correct.

still on the http://My.IP.XXX.XXX, I see the forum … but it is wrong first joomla should come, forum is a subfolder in public_html

That problem is an easy one to correct… if Apache isn’t specifically configured to host a site by IP address, that means it’s simply showing you the default website, which is the first site to appear in the config file.

To change which site is the default – you can go into Server Configuration -> Website Options, and set “Default website for IP address” to “Yes” for your desired default domain.

Also the big problem is : when I go to my domain www.mydomain.com : nothing is displayed, my domain is set to ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com and I registered for every name server my IP address

Well, a place to start would be to go over to intodns.com, and have them give you a DNS report for your domain. If there’s something incorrectly configured, their DNS report may be able to assist you in discovering what that is.

-Eric

The red parts:

NS:

Mismatched NS records	WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
DNS servers responded	ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:

The ones that did not respond are:
125.XXX.244.XXX

Multiple Nameservers	ERROR: Looks like you have less than 2 nameservers. According to RFC2182 section 5 you must have at least 3 nameservers, and no more than 7. Having 2 nameservers is also ok by me.

Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers	You should already know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is again: 

NS2.mydomain.com.
NS1.mydomain.com.

SOA SOA record No valid SOA record came back!

MX MX Records Oh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don’t have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!

WWW WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for www.mydomain.com!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.)

From this error reports, can you tell which areas should be fixed?I tried to PM you the full URL from intodns but not possible, I dont want to open the broken site for public yet.

Well, this error here:

DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond: The ones that did not respond are: 125.XXX.244.XXX

You’ll want to figure out what’s going on with 125.XXX.244.XXX – it sounds like your nameserver points to that IP, but when it does a DNS query, there’s no response.

You’ll want to make sure BIND is listening on that IP, and that there isn’t a firewall blocking DNS queries.

-Eric

after examining I found out that port 53 isnt listening, I dont know very well iptables so I installed the “firewall” module from webmin, but that also didnt help very much, is there a firewall/tool which lets you simply click to open port 53 and then continue … I dont know also if it shall be tcp or udp or doesnt matter …?I thought webmin or bind would open whatever port they need…

Howdy,

It may just be a matter of telling BIND where to listen.

If you go into Webmin -> Servers -> BIND DNS Server -> Addresses and Topology, make sure your desired IP addresses are listed there in “Ports and addresses to listen on”.

-Eric