FREE VIRTUALMIN TRAINING!!!

Just want to say Thank To Peter, I will not get My Name Server Running without him.

If you guys just jump in to Virtualmin, You will get lost with this, because virtualmin have different topology from shared hosting.

Almost one month i searching how to running my Name Server and Peter guide me via TeamViewer, I will not get it run without him. And now, i get know better how server is running

All I have to say is Peter is one rad dude! Best of all this guy knows his stuff not including the fact he’s a total nerd in his free time discovering new ways on how to setup redundant mailserver, mysql, web servers for his clients, not limited to security, optimizations, configuring an API and so much more!

I recently was vetting the tools available for virtualization to run a few VM’s on a dedicated server and had tried Proxmox, and OpenVZ web gui. From past experience I knew how rock solid Virtualmin and Webmin were and had no issue testing the waters with Cloudmin. After hitting my head against the wall for a few days trying to fix a networking interface issue and configuration problem I came across Peter’s name in a variety of forums and decided to reach out to him for his help via Skype. I was so lucky to get his help! After 5 days and about 36 hours + of his time working on this weird bug that seemed to exist only with my server he got the system working. I had two other developers take a crack at it, and also two other level 2 support techs from my hosting provider who couldn’t get half of what Peter accomplished.

After Peter’s generous time, incredible commitment and effort I decided to pay what i could afford but well knowing he did more than what I paid. I’ve found people like Peter are extremely rare, and even Jamie and Eric who i see giving alot of there time to help many of us with understanding how to configure Web/Virtual/Cloudmin products when these people know full well that there time is worth about $80 - $200/hr and still give it freely or for a fraction of that. I’ve known a variety of developers who over time who become more seasoned with experience become impossible to approach unless the conversations start with $$$$$ amount.

Peter Knowles is a walking library of knowledge and I hope other people reading this consider his worth based off of my experience. I will definitely use him on other projects in the future, he’s earned my trust and respect and he’s got a good sense of humor…

Sincerely,

Phillip Wilhelm

Dear Peter,

Thanks so much for all your help and support. TPNSolutions has been a great help all along. I am trying to configure appropriate backup with the least footprint, to hopefully reduce our backup costs.

There may be some other strategies I have not thought about, and I may have my holding periods a little short, but I have considered the issue of not discovering a problem, such as hacking or failures, and the time it really takes to get things fixed, during which time we would be loosing backups (each day). Obviously if it is a hacking problem you may need to go back 5-6 months because you may not have caught the first small instances, (particularly if you don’t happen to have the security protections that TPN uses for detection and alerts). So given that we do have some of these protections, do you have any suggestions for the durations or types of backups proposed below?

backup-full-monthly-websites-all keep 125 days (4 backups)
backup-full-sunday-websites-active keep 31 days (4 backups)
backup-incremental-daily-websites keep 14 days (only active websites with changes)

• Full backups include virtualmin + settings.
  • separate backups for each server (web and email servers)

How would you suggest adjusting this setup?

Also do you know if backups made to local-file /backup or backup-full etc. are also included in the Amazon S3 Backups? If so, how would I exclude them?

My final question is do you have a preference where we set the Delete old backup duration?
In Virtualmin > Backup and Restore OR in Amazon S3 under bucket properties?

Thanks
Rick

Under Virtualmin > Backup and Restore > Scheduled Backups
Under Destination and Format
With Amazon S3 bucket selected and with Access Key and ID completed with valid S3 Amazon entries.
When backing up to Amazon S3 Buckets I have changed the "Backup Destination > Bucket and Path to be
[for example] eml1.xxxxx/backup-full-sun/%Y-%m-%d

• File is named 2015-08-25 [for example]
  • Dropped into Folder “backup-full-sun”
  • Under Bucket " eml1.xxxxx"
    Now the files will appear in proper order when you are on your S3 Amazon backup account.
    Under “Delete old backups” I entered 35 days so we have just 5 weekly backups stored.
    Under “Additonal Destination Options” Dostrife and Transfer… are checked.

Peter,
I received a white paper from sourceforge on “SSLStrip” and related attacks discussed by Moxie Marlinspike and it appears the only solution is to have EV SSL certificates which appear to be quite expensive. Doman Validated SSL will not work.

The White Paper Spoofing Server-Server Communication: How You Can Prevent It https://www.secure128.com/support-resources/prevent-server-attacks-with-ev-ssls.aspx

About EV-SSL
https://www.digicert.com/extended-validation-ssl.htm
https://www.instantssl.com/https-tutorials/ev-ssl.html

When would this type of certificate be most appropriate to use?
How do “Domain Validated” certificates work and when are they most appropriate?

For websites that do money transactions what type of certificate is most appropriate?

I found this EV-SSL but it may not be the same, it is about 1/2 the cost
https://ssl.comodo.com/ev-ssl-certificates.php
How would it differ from the other more expensive ones?

Am I getting too hung up on this certificate business?

Thanks
Rick

Hello, is it possible to have some training on making emails work with Virtualmin.
I think my ISP or Gmail is blocking outgoing emails from Virtualmin, so I think I need to try this email relaying thingy?
http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,mail_relaying_with_virtualmin/

just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to peter and tpn solutions,

after i migrated from one server to another i had everything working except the ability to send emails. i posted an extensive question here on the forum and got no response.

i emailed peter and less than 24 hours later he had tracked down and fixed the issue … he also explained exactly what the issue was.

apparently the required service “sasl” was not running on the new server

he started it and set it up to startup on boot.

sasld handles authentication from a remote machine.

it allows outbound messages to be sent from remote machine and authentication works.

i would definitely use him again if i run into issues down the road!

thanks again peter!

I guess no help re email setup.

Well, the FTP or preferably SFTP is proving impossible to setup.

Would I be able to receive some assistance with this please.

I can use FTP and SFTP with other webhosts, but with Virtualmin, I simply cannot connect?

Have you done some searches on the documentation SSH SFTP Certificates, etc.
That is where I would start.
It can be complicated, so try to keep it simple to start, get FTP working by reading the manual.
Peter is very good at this, but it takes some time and patience with him to get it all running and things are interdependent. And you have to be attentive and patient as well even with his help.
http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/email

Hi

Sorry about super late response, I haven’t been as active in the forums lately.

If you still require assistance, drop me a line by email or Skype.

We have set up SPF and DKIM Records which are working and testing as PASS and they seem to work in practice. We had set up a manual DMARC several years ago, but that seems to have been removed or something.

Now there is a parameter in DNS Binding for DMARC which I am trying to use.
I have done this:
Went to Webmin > Servers > Bind DNS Server > Down under Existing DNS Zones > Click on xxx-xxxxxxts.com MASTER Type > Now in Edit Master Zone and DMARC is listed > Click on that and the record form comes up.
into that I put the following record _dmarc TXT (“v-DMARC1;p=none;rua=mailto:xxxxx@xxx-xxxxxxxts.com”)

This is the bare minimum record which has a number of optionals that default.
After allowing this to propagate for awhile I have been testing for DMARC using
mxTools https://mxtoolbox.com/dmarc.aspx and their test seems to come up negative all the time, for eml1.xxx-xxxxxxxts.com and xxx-xxxxxxxts.com.

Could it be that I have to enter the same dmarc record into our eml1.xxx-xxxxxxxxts.com server too because the checking tools are not good?

Or is DMARC truely not working???

Rick,

You did a great job in figuring out how to setup DMARC!

The only thing you missed, which I corrected for you was publishing the updated zones, as you saved them but forgot to refresh BIND.

I trust the lessons learned will help you solve other problems in the future :slight_smile:

Is the tutorial still available?

Same as above - very keen to schedule some time in with you if the offer still stands?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi,

So sorry for the extremely late response. I still offer technical support and teach folks how to use Webmin/Virtualmin. If you are interested, the best way to reach me is via a Skype message using my username “tpnassist”.

Hi,

So sorry for the extremely late response. I still offer technical support and teach folks how to use Webmin/Virtualmin. If you are interested, the best way to reach me is via a Skype message using my username “tpnassist”.

Peter solved my issue very fast! I had to change my cloud firewall settings, on my provider’s control panel, to include port 10000.

Thanks for this comment Locutus - I needed a good laugh today!
When did the Borg develop a sense of humor?

Thanks for this comment Locutus - I needed a good laugh today!
When did the Borg develop a sense of humor?

sorry for the double reply on this - I can’t figure out how to delete it…