FREE VIRTUALMIN TRAINING!!!

Hey Folks,

As part of my effort to give back to the community, I’m starting a bi-weekly training schedule to help new users of Virtualmin get familiar with the product.

=== PRICING ===

I want to get this part out of the way right now. This offer is FREE of charge, though you are entitled to pay if you feel it’s been that helpful, however there will never be an obligation.

=== GRATITUDE-BASED MODEL (Mar 7, 2013) ===

Starting Mar 7, 2013 I am adding a small adjustment to my pricing model above. I’m introducing a “Gratitude-Based” model.

*** IMPORTANT: If you do not find my training to be helpful or cannot afford to pay anything, don’t worry, there is ABSOLUTELY NO OBLIGATIONS to pay anything. Also payments received are not treated as a reflection of how helpful the training was, so don’t feel like you have to pay a large amount to show your appreciation. ***

Under the gratitude model, I’m asking two things. Firstly, if you found the training to be helpful and would like to give back, at the end of the session I will provide you a link where you can do just that, and secondly please let others know by posting to this thread, and/or helping others with similar questions in the forums.

=== CLEARING UP CONFUSION ===

Virtualmin is a poweful panel built for the web hosting industry. Often times, people shell cash to cPanel, Plesk, or DirectAdmin because they are simply not aware that in most cases, Virtualmin can accomplish the task they are needing. My goal is to clear up this confusion, with an ABSOLUTELY FREE training offer. Often times, Virtualmin GPL is all a person needs, but should you require some of the added benefits of Virtualmin Pro, it is competitively priced, and comes with amazing support!

=== FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE ===

Because I know everyone’s schedule is pretty crazy, and we don’t all live in the same area, I’m keeping the schedule flexible in terms of time of day. The only rule is, you need to give me at least 48 hrs. notice so that I can make myself available.

=== AVAILABILITY / LIMITATIONS ===

It is my goal to assist as many people as possible. As such, I’m not planning to teach you EVERY detail about Virtualmin, but focus on a few key areas that YOU are interested in learning about. I have therefore decided to limit training sessions to 2 hrs, and a maximum of 3 session per training date.

*** while you are entitled to sign up for additional sessions, new sessions are offered to first time users before considering a repeat user to keep things fair. ***

=== POST TRAINING ASSISTANCE ===

Beyond the 2 hr limit, I am available most days of the week to offer paid assistance for a rate of $40.00 minimum, $80.00 maximum, and 4 hr limit per session.

=== SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE ===

The only thing I ask in return for offering my time FREE of charge, is that you share what you’ve learned with others. If you see someone struggling with the same issues you were, why not offer them some of your new found knowledge so they too can become confident with their usage of Virtualmin. This is a request, and certainly not a demand, but hey, it’s a pretty logical move!

== FIRST DATE ==

Now that I’ve gone through the basics, please feel free to contact me to setup a time. The first session will be offered between February 2, 2013 and February 3, 2013.

To register time, please make sure you have a copy of “Team Viewer”, then send an email to: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com with your available time, along with your location (so I can plan around your time zone).

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here so we can address matters in bulk.

*** before you ask, “No, I’m not crazy, just thankful that in times of need people including Jamie, Joe, and Eric, have been there willing to help me out. It’s my time to give back!” ***

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342

are you in BC? is this generous offer just over the internet, or face-2-face as well?

Hi,

FREE training sessions are available online only, through a screen-sharing session, however paid consulting can be done in person within the Vancouver, British Columbia region (Canada).

*** paid consulting: $40.00 min, $80.00 max up to 4 hrs. ***

Great tutorial Mr Knowles. Was very informative. You really know your stuff. Now I know at least I am starting off with a decent configuration, and that the ‘mins’ are the way to go for great server control.

Sorry for the delays I caused, I feel like I owe you for your time.
Thanks again.

Scott,

I’m glad you found the session helpful :slight_smile:

I just want to say that Peter helped me a huge deal, and still checks in from time to time to make sure everything is going well.

He doesn’t just “fix things” - he shows you how to do it yourself, and what may go wrong in the future, and how to fix that.

I was a little shaky going from cpanel to Virtualmin, but after Peter’s lessons and cpanel’s recent security issues, I’m now confident I made the right choice.

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words!

Peter helped me. He has a thorough system of making sure your Virtualmin installation is running what you need for your set up, but no more. By following his instructions on removing unneeded services, I dropped over 100mb of memory used. Also, removing the unnecessary services, like an ftp server, make my hosting more secure.

Thank you Peter.

sorry i missed above thread; haven’t logged in for a while.
Is there some way I can be notified if any more of these sessions are happening?

thanks!!

Gary

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the lack of updates to this thread, here’s the latest.

First off, I really appreciate the kudos on here, and absolutely love helping people with Virtualmin matters.

For those who’ve emailed me recently, and did not receive a response I apologize, I’ve been a busy bee as of late, and have just not had the time to delegate toward training.

While the original goal was to set training dates, and post them here, what has happened is people just email me their interest, and I setup one-on-one sessions to aid in learning what is needed.

Within the next couple weeks, I’ll be posting a “Training Request” form where you can sign up to receive assistance. This will allow me to organize training a bit better, and keep track of popular topics and the like.

Stay tuned!

Gary,

Training is done on a “request-basis” and generally undertook on weekends when I’m least busy.

Hey,

Glad I could help!

Hi,

Always happy to help!

I came to TPN looking for a bit of help setting up a dedicated with Virtualmin. This was supposed to be for my client sites, but now they are going to TPNSolutions cheaper than I was paying before, with more options, and amazing, AMAZING support.

Also did I mention they completely secured my box, and setup everything I requested, and even showed me how they did it along the way.

Amazing, just amazing. Goodbye WHMCS, hello Virtualmin!

@Douglife: Just for information, WHMCS is a customer management and billing software, while Virtualmin is a hosting control panel. You can’t compare the two. Saying “goodbye-hello” in that case is like saying “Goodbye TV, hello washing machine”. :wink:

Because I didn’t even notice that. But to humor me, and anyone potentially reading my mistake, Virtualmin is a Cpanel alternative correct?

Yep that’s correct.

Had a great communication this past Friday with TPN and via Teamviewer learned a lot about some great configuration settings one can use to take advantage of all that Virtualmin can do.

I have two dedicated servers one for VPS hosting and one for shared hosting and TPN was very helpful in the Virtualmin configurations.

Now i am learning about what Cloudmin has to offer for my VPS hosting.

BTW I purchased both licenses… Cloudmin and Virtualmin Pro

Thanks to TPN and the guys at Webmin / Virtualmin / Cloudmin…

Hope to get some one on one with TPN in the near future. Keep up the good sharing.

Ray

can you just record them with http://camstudio.org/ and serve them up to the web?

Make some generic training… so we can just find a topic that is interesting, and watch that.

Hi,

While in theory this may make sense, the training I offer is unique to each situation based on various factors including but not limited to: operating system, usage requirements, and level of existing Webmin/Virtualmin/Cloudmin knowledge.

So, I probably could put together general training, though in my experience this may not actually prove to be generally useful, as each situation I’ve encountered is usually a bit different from the next.

That said, I will keep this in mind and if I have some extra time I may put together some general purpose tutorials.

Thanks for the suggestion!