Filesystem backup via FTP fails

Hi, I’m trying to backup filesystem to another box on my LAN using FTP. Here’s what I get:

DUMP: Connection to xx.xx.xx.xx established.
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sun Aug 30 11:49:53 2009
DUMP: Dumping /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 (/) to backup on host user@xx.xx.xx.xx
DUMP: Label: fullbackup
DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: estimated 5435119 blocks.
DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Sun Aug 30 12:07:05 2009
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: 2.97% done at 536 kB/s, finished in 2:43
DUMP: 2.98% done at 224 kB/s, finished in 6:31
DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
DUMP: error reading command pipe in master: No such file or directory
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
DUMP: Broken pipe
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.

Maybe I have to edit some FTP server settings to allow uploading of huge files? Upload stops when backup file size reaches ~165Mb. I am trying to backup whole / folder.

I will appreciate any help.

Ideas, anyone? :slight_smile:

Why not use sftp?
I did a 7.4 gb file today over sftp in the LAN with default set up.

Well, I’d love to… but there’s no such option in Filesystem backup module. All I can see is: Default (RSH), SSH and FTP. How can I set up an SFTP connection?

That would be SSH. Sftp is ssh… SSH File Transfer Protocol

Yeah, I’m not quite sure what would be causing the issue you’re seeing, but it’s quite possible that trying SSH (or SFTP) would resolve that.

SSH/SFTP tends to be a simpler protocol to work with, as well as being safer!

If that doesn’t help though, let us know and we’ll do our best to help :slight_smile:

-Eric

I’m having a restore issue after a successful ftp backup. I am using the same username and password that I used to do the backup. These machines are in the same subnet so no FW issue. I am specifying a file from the backup and telling the backup module to restore it to /tmp. The error I get is:

Connection to 10.10.1.254 established.
Dump date: Thu Sep 10 09:03:44 2009
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of / on lists.cccoe.org:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
Label: none
2128317 ./root/webmin-20090819
FTP close failed : initial connection failed : Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost.

close: FTP close failed : initial connection failed : Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost.

Howdy,

Does it work if you transfer the backup archive to the Virtualmin server first, and restore the backup locally?

-Eric

I wonder if your file system is causing any issues. Using online storage with NTFS seems to work great for me but FAT was causing issues with my old computer. I could have something to do with that especially since you are saying the connection drops after a certain file size has been reached.