SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.3
Webmin version 2.105
Usermin version 2.005
Virtualmin version 7.9.0
Theme version 21.09.5
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I have altered the settings in File Manager
specifically to list by date modified descending.

seems to work for some directories but not this one:

input-checks.php was modified later than every other file so it should be at the top - shouldn’t it?

Works ok for me. I don’t like it as it also alter the folders in date as well.

If you click on Modified does it do it correctly?

works for me also … but I hate there doesn’t appear to be a setting to alter the date format from YYYY/MM/DD to something that doesn’t catch me out each time

As I said:

which makes it even more curious.
I did wonder if the sort was working on “date created” not “date modified” as challenge.php has not been modified since it was placed there, I may test that theory by surreptitiously editing it

I don’t mind the folders also being listed this was ( use this to see what has been modified so as to assist tracking potential changes in code.

But no clicking on the “Modified” header does not fix this one (but does work on other columns. It does change the order to ascending and back again.)

doesn’t bother me so much though I agree it would be a nice additional setting. Why can’t the world agree on one international date format? (oh and one international currency format and perhaps “peace in our time” :peace_symbol: )

hmm missed that bit
using the cli ls -t --full-time command does that show the correct date ?
what happens if you edit the file in question and save it (this will alter the modified date of course) does that fix it ?

stays the same

I also edited the file (inside File Manager) remembering to do a refresh (I fell for that one thinking it would be automatic!) now challenge.php is at the top of the listing where it should be.
Doesn’t explain why it was there in the first place. perhaps using both modified and if not modified then the created?

I edited my post with the correct ls command which may give a bigger insight into what the os thinks the date is

Thanks - though not much more added.

I think the %Y/%m/%d - %T format is the best for displaying date and time information in a list where sorting can be important!

However, I understand that other users may prefer something closer to their locale (regional settings), so I have just added a new option named Use regional settings for dates and times to File Manager preferences page.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.