Fight off : CNAME not working

After one week of fight with my server, it won…
I have installed a clean version of CentOs on a server, and then installed VirtualMin using the .sh script.

My server is working, I can display a page using my domain name
However, the www is not working, I know that’s coming from the Cname, but i don’t know why that’s not working…

Here is my DNS Record :

@ IN SOA (
1000 )

${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
${DOM}. IN NS IN A ${IP} IN A ${IP}
www.${DOM}. IN CNAME ${DOM}.

I used a webservice to check my dns, and I got an issue with the www:

WWW Error WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for!

I dont understand why that’s not working, the domaine name is pointing to the good folder on the server, but the www is pointing to the server, but cannot find the folder.
Is that coming from the configuration of apache ?

Here is my httpd.conf
SuexecUserGroup "#500" "#501"
DocumentRoot /home/anoxya/public_html
ErrorLog /home/anoxya/logs/error_log
CustomLog /home/anoxya/logs/access_log combined
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/anoxya/cgi-bin/
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php index.php4 index.php5
<Directory /home/anoxya/public_html>
Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC FollowSymLinks
allow from all
AllowOverride All
<Directory /home/anoxya/cgi-bin>
allow from all
Alias /dav "/home/anoxya/public_html"
Alias /pipermail "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public"
<Location /dav>
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/anoxya/etc/dav.digest.passwd
Require valid-user
ForceType text/plain
Satisfy All
RedirectMatch /cgi-bin/mailman/([^/])(.) "https://anoxya:10000/virtualmin-mailman/unauthenticated/$1.cgi$2"
RedirectMatch /mailman/([^/])(.) "https://anoxya:10000/virtualmin-mailman/unauthenticated/$1.cgi$2"
SSLEngine off
<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath /home/anoxya/svn
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/anoxya/etc/svn.basic.passwd
Require valid-user
AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/anoxya/etc/svn-access.conf
Satisfy All


Can somebody is wise enough to find out how to solde this issue ?<br><br>Post edited by: clenoma, at: 2008/08/08 13:44

So you’ve modified the Apache configuration a bit from what Virtualmin generates (which uses the name of the domain for the ServerName and creates a ServerAlias for www.domain.tld). That doesn’t make a difference, of course…but I’m not sure why you’d want to do it that way.

And you definitely have an A record for, so I don’t know why the web service you checked with is complaining. But your whois record looks really strange (it lists no name servers…which is…strange).

Anyway, I’m guessing maybe the NameVirtualHost entry is wrong on your system. Maybe. It’s certainly something to do with the way you’ve got virtual hosting setup.

Thanks for your reply joe.
I’ve played a lot with my server, and i’ve probably make some mistakes.
I’ll will retart from a clean version tomorrow.

The SOA record is:
Primary nameserver:

looks like you forgot the . after the name

I've played a lot with my server, and i've probably make some mistakes. I'll will retart from a clean version tomorrow.

Without understanding of past mistakes, we are destined to repeat them. :wink:

I’d recommend fixing the problems with the current installation rather than starting over and making the same mistakes again (and again, and so on).