Fallen server after SSL renewal

Good morning,

I was setting up a new domain as a domain directed to another domain on my main website. The idea was to use it for Prestashop multistore for a small shop for my mother. When I went to renew the SSL (in order to include these new domains) an error occurred and the service was shut down. I provided to restart the VPS from the server web but it didn’t start. It seems that Apache is down and I can’t start it:

● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset:
Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d
└─apache2-systemd.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-04-24 22:22:21 CEST; 3min 3
Process: 956 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=1/FAILUR

Apr 24 22:22:19 vps777 systemd [1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server…
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 apachectl [956]: AH00526: Syntax error on line 135 of /
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 apachectl [956] SSLCertificateFile: file '/home/chexpr
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 apachectl [956] Action ‘start’ failed.
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 apachectl [956]: The Apache error log may have more inf
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 systemd [1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, c
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 systemd [1]: apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-
Apr 24 22:22:21 vps777 systemd [1]: Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.

I’m trying to start it and I can’t figure out how. What could be the reason?

Thank you very much for the help, I’m a bit lost.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

This truncated line, if expanded, will give you the clue about which configuration file is preventing apache from starting. You will have to edit this file and, I suspect, remove the SSL entries for the new domain which you have created.

1 Like

Looks like it. However, I have edited the file to remove the references to the new websites and it still won’t start. What should I do? Delete the certificate? How should I do it?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

I also see this error:

SSLCertificateFile: file ‘/home/chexpress/ssl.cert’ does not exist or is empty

I have entered the file and it is indeed empty. I have tried to renew the certificate of the main domain (only .com and www.dominio.com) but it gives the following error:

Error while running apache2ctl configtest.
Action ‘configtest’ failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

AH00526: Syntax error on line 129 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/cheress.es.conf:
SSLCertificateFile: file ‘/home/cheress/ssl.cert’ does not exist or is empty

The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: MisconfigurationError(“Error while running apache2ctl configtest.\nAction ‘configtest’ failed.\nThe Apache error log may have more information.\n\nAH00526: Syntax error on line 129 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/cheress.es.conf:\nSSLCertificateFile: file ‘/home/cheress/ssl.cert’ does not exist or is empty\n”,)

Delete line 129 in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/cheress.es.conf
Then try restarting apache again. You will get a couple of more error messages; delete the offending lines specified in those error messages and then apache should restart.

Thanks a lot, buddy,

I did like you said, I got another error and then I ssled off the same file. I’m already being ripped off by Apache. However now webmin is down and I can’t access it:

● webmin.service - LSB: web-based administration interface for Unix systems
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/webmin; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2020-04-25 09:20:51 CEST; 5min Aug
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 929 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/webmin start (code=exited, status=2)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

Why is this happening now?

Maybe this is simpler: I have backups of the virtual server. Is it possible to restore it via SSH? I am looking for a guide but can only find it from the web.

Greetings and thanks again.

Thanks a lot, buddy. Finally I was able to go in, restore the copy from the day before and leave everything as it was. Thank you very much, without your help it would have been much harder.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.