Failed to start The PHP 8.0 FastCGI Process Manager

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Usermin version: 1.823

Hi! I updated Virtualmin/Webmin for the first time in probably 4 months and it was on 100% CPU for a few hours.

Now, the interface is really slow and disconnects. Furthermore, I am unable to choose PHP version for some domains and for those which I can, it just gives 5XX errors on Wordpress.

When investigating what went wrong, I get the following errors:
“Failed to start The PHP 8.0 FastCGI Process Manager” and “please specify user and other than root” when installing PHP 8.0 and running it

Does anyone have a solution? I need to update to a recent PHP version as some of my Wordpress plugins are complaining.

I don’t know anybody running php8 on an active server. Especially anybody running Wordpress.

I control a dozen Wordpress sites and not a single one of them have all php8 compatibility. I run 7.4 and have no issues at all.

My recommendation: Get rid of 8.0. Revert to 7.4

When going on Virtualmin > Selected domain > Server Configuration > PHP Options, I can see the following under mod_php: PHP versions installed 7.4.21

However Wordpress thinks it is running this version: PHP Version: 7.2.34-23

Long as it isn’t 8. I’ve seen nothing but problems from people that jumped on 8 the instant it came out.

It can take months, sometimes a year, before everybody gets around to updating to a new version.

Thanks, but what seems to be the issue since I can’t switch on Virtualmin?

If you don’t see different versions listed in the PHP Information section then they’re either not installed or not running.