Failed to start The PHP 8.0 FastCGI Process Manager

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Usermin version: 1.823

Hi! I updated Virtualmin/Webmin for the first time in probably 4 months and it was on 100% CPU for a few hours.

Now, the interface is really slow and disconnects. Furthermore, I am unable to choose PHP version for some domains and for those which I can, it just gives 5XX errors on Wordpress.

When investigating what went wrong, I get the following errors:
“Failed to start The PHP 8.0 FastCGI Process Manager” and “please specify user and other than root” when installing PHP 8.0 and running it

Does anyone have a solution? I need to update to a recent PHP version as some of my Wordpress plugins are complaining.

I don’t know anybody running php8 on an active server. Especially anybody running Wordpress.

I control a dozen Wordpress sites and not a single one of them have all php8 compatibility. I run 7.4 and have no issues at all.

My recommendation: Get rid of 8.0. Revert to 7.4

When going on Virtualmin > Selected domain > Server Configuration > PHP Options, I can see the following under mod_php: PHP versions installed 7.4.21

However Wordpress thinks it is running this version: PHP Version: 7.2.34-23

Long as it isn’t 8. I’ve seen nothing but problems from people that jumped on 8 the instant it came out.

It can take months, sometimes a year, before everybody gets around to updating to a new version.

Thanks, but what seems to be the issue since I can’t switch on Virtualmin?

If you don’t see different versions listed in the PHP Information section then they’re either not installed or not running.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.