Failed Install: Webmin unmet dependencies libnet-ssleay-perl etc are not installable

After running Virtualmin on Debian 10, I decided to try Debian 12. Stopped vps, installed Debian 12. Downloaded the latest Virtualmin install.sh. And I get the same error if I use virtualmin-install.sh

The install fails
▣▣▣◻ Phase 3 of 4: Installation
Checking and installing system package updates :heavy_check_mark:
Installing Virtualmin 7 and all related packages [ERROR] Failed with error: 100

[ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[ERROR] The last few log entries were:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
webmin : Depends: libnet-ssleay-perl but it is not installable
Depends: libauthen-pam-perl but it is not installable
Depends: libio-pty-perl but it is not installable
Depends: unzip but it is not installable
Recommends: libdatetime-perl but it is not installable
Recommends: libdatetime-timezone-perl but it is not installable
Recommends: libdatetime-locale-perl but it is not installable
Recommends: libencode-detect-perl but it is not installable
Recommends: lynx but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Installing Virtualmin 7 and all related packages: [2024-01-10 14:10:58 PST] [ERROR] Failed with error: 100
[2024-01-10 14:10:58 PST] [ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[2024-01-10 14:10:58 PST] [ERROR] The last few log entries were:

Any suggestions to help get past the errors?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Virtualmin version 7

I hope you mean you trashed and did a clean install.

I just deployed Virtualmin on Debian 12 on Vultr, no issues.

Yes, it was a clean install. Will try re-installing Debian 12 again and see how it goes.

I reinstalled Debian 12 again. Ran virtualmin-install.sh —> same errors.

Reinstalled Debian 11 ----> virtualmin-install.sh completed with no errors.

Is this a matter to bring up with my vps provider that there’s something wrong with their Debian 12 image?

That isn’t a useful thing to do.

Just figure out why package installation is failing. Your Debian 12 installation has broken apt sources, presumably. Our install script only installs packages in the standard OS repos or in our own repos (and we setup our own repos, so they’ll be right, assuming network is working).

The packages you can’t install are from the standard Debian repos. So, figure out why you can’t install standard Debian packages on your system.

Ok, I will open up a ticket with the vps provider to let them know about the errors and their Debian 12 image.

It would probably only take 30 seconds to look at the apt configuration and fix it, assuming it has working network.

@oneearth If your provider had the image available they probably have their internal repos to cut down on bandwidth. If so, sub in the standard.

I’m not sure how to do that. I don’t know if I have any control of the Debian 12 image install.

Or you referring to the virtualmin-install.sh script?

I could try what you’re suggesting. But I don’t have any idea where to start to do this.

No, of course not. It’s not a problem with the install script, or anything to do with us at all, as I already said.

It’s the apt configuration in /etc/apt/sources.list or in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. If you have root on the server, you can change those things, and if you don’t have root on the server, you can’t install Virtualmin, so we shouldn’t be having a conversation at all.

I’d recommend you learn about your OS and the package manager. Good package management is the coolest thing Linux has to offer over all the other options. Good package management is a joy to use, and it empowers you to understand a whole heck of a lot more about what’s happening on your system. It is table stakes for being a competent Linux server admin.

1 Like

Thanks for that direction. I reinstalled Debian 12, checked /etc/apt/sources.list and found that there was a bunch of garbage (funny ascii symbols) at the end of the file.

I deleted those garbage lines. Then ran virtualmin-install.sh → successful install.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to running with Debian 12.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.