Error while installing virtualmin using install.sh

Hello,

I am trying to install virtualmin in a fresh new VPS (Ubuntu 18.04) using the install.sh approach but during the installation, I got the following error:

Device "link" does not exist.
[WARNING] Unable to determine IP address of primary interface.
Please enter the name of your primary network interface:
Device "The filesystem / could not be remounted with quotas enabled." does not e                                       xist.
The filesystem : error fetching interface information: Device not found

[ERROR] Fatal Error Occurred: Unable to determine IP address of selected interfa                                       ce.  Cannot continue.
Cannot continue installation.
/root/virtualmin-install.sh: 349: /root/virtualmin-install.sh: cannot create /tm                                       p/.virtualmin-898/sources.list: Directory nonexistent
mv: cannot stat '/tmp/.virtualmin-898/sources.list': No such file or directory

What should I do?

Look at Webmin -->Network Configuration–>Active Now tab and see if the IP there matches the IP for your VPS hosting, if its set to the localhost ip 127.0.0.1 then try change to the VPS ip and run setup again.

Steve

I think if you give your host a fully qualified domain name before running the script, it’ll work. That particular bit of code only gets called if the hostname isn’t set…it tries to set it for you, but your system has a weird network configuration that it can’t figure out.