error when deleting server - on deleting mail alias

when i try ro delete a server i get this error:

Delete Server
In domain ***.com
Deleting mail aliases …
Failed to regenerate table /etc/postfix/virtual: sh: /usr/sbin/postmap: not found

Some questions:

Are you getting this error only when deleting domains, or also when doing other things, like creating domains or users, or editing the Postfix configuration in Webmin?

What output do you get for the command which postmap? Which distro are you using?

You can try to edit the config of Webmin’s Postfix module, in Webmin/Servers/Postfix/Module Config/System Configuration where you can set the path to postmap.

First check though why this error occurs, because normally no modification to this setting is required and the error you’re getting might indicate some deeper problem.

ok, ill look into this deeper tomorrow, as for a quick answer…
i have just successfully deleted a user (will try creating and deleting more tomorrow)

running “which postmap” as root actually brought up nothing… hm.

maybe related is, i did install exim4… dont know much about all this yet but maybe some mail conflicts.

Hmm, which distro is it that you’re using?

You may want to verify that installing Exim didn’t uninstall Postfix.

On Debian/Ubuntu, you can check the Postfix version with: dpkg -l postfix

On CentOS, you can check it with: rpm -qa postfix

However, it may just be that postmap isn’t in your path – you can search for it with:

find /usr -name postmap

ok, that seems to be it. (on ubuntu 10.04)

nothing found in /usr and get this for dpkg:

$# dpkg -l postfix
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
++±===================================-===================================-======================================================================================
rc postfix 2.7.0-1ubuntu0.2 High-performance mail transport agent

sadly didn’t delete any users before installing exim so cant say if that did it or what!
should i just install it?

Do you still have the /etc/postfix/virtual, /etc/postfix/main.cf, and /etc/postfix/master.cf files?

If so, you may simply be able to reinstall Postfix – though I’d make a backup of everything in /etc/postfix/ before performing the installation.

If you don’t have those files, you can still reinstall Postfix, but there will be a lot of config tweaking to do :slight_smile:

-Eric

those files are there. and ya, guess it’s the exim, it wants me to remove it.
guess i might as well check how to configure my redmine to postfix instead of exim :slight_smile:

$ apt-get install postfix
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Suggested packages:
postfix-mysql postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre resolvconf postfix-cdb ufw
The following packages will be REMOVED:
exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
The following NEW packages will be installed:
postfix
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1,321kB of archives.
After this operation, 819kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

Yup, that does indeed look like what you need to do – but make sure you backup your /etc/postfix dir first, as it might overwrite what you have in there already.

If you use the files you currently have in there, it should all work for you after you reinstall Postfix.

-Eric

yup, works now, thanks a lot for the great help!! :slight_smile: