Error - Perl execution failed Undefined subroutine &main::authentic called at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/index.cgi line 12

Usual user is the user created when I installed ubuntu 12.01 and I installed webmin at that moment. Webmin updated after the years and ubuntu still on 18.04.05. So it’s an old installation worked for many years!
I don’t remember but I think it was a deb installation

If you open Command Shell (Alt+K) and type whoami , what is the output?

My Webmin user is the usual login user with no root access without su or sudo

What makes you think it’s no-root user without su or sudo?

The fix would be simple just remove all preroot_ and theme_ from configs and make sure that preroot and theme set to authentic-theme. The problem is that why this is happening.

@rhis Is the name of your login root or something else, like admin?

it’s a normal name, not rhis

Do you know which files/configs has these attributes?

I don’t understand what do you mean. What do you use as a login name?

The files I asked to shared before - /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and - /etc/webmin/config.

I use my main system login name, why is that important? It has worked for 6 or more years until today.

It’s related. The name is not root? Is the login name reflected in /etc/webmin/miniserv.users?

I think we’re dealing with something else but the change on theme root usage.

This worked. I now can log in.
Thanks llia.

miniserv.users

root:x::::::::0:0:::

only root

:frowning:

It makes no sense to me, sorry! Because your config also worked for me!

What login name did you use to login and what is the output of:

/etc/webmin/miniserv.users

root:x::::::::0:0:::

The fix was to #out those

in etc/webmin/config
#theme_root=authentic-theme

in etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
#preroot=gray-theme
#preroot_root=authentic-theme

thanks for the help!

1 Like

Have you always been using Gray Theme instead of Authentic Theme?

preroot option in miniserv.conf must correspond with theme option in config. This is important.

The fix was to #out those

I am sorry, this cannot be a fix to anything.

I had the same issue and preroot for me was also gray-theme.

I understand that it’s not a fix but by commenting out those lines I got in and could set authentic-theme as theme again.

I wasn’t using Gray Theme but I had it installed.

I’m guessing it would have worked to change preroot to authentic-theme as that is what it’s set as now when it’s working.

This is from miniserv.error, I guess the first part is from the update.

[09/Jan/2021:13:23:14 +0100] [192.168.1.69] /stats.cgi : Perl execution failed : Can’t locate Async.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Async module) (@INC contains: /lib /usr/share/webmin /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.30 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30 /usr/share/perl/5.30 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/share/webmin/ .) at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi line 12.
BEGIN failed–compilation aborted at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi line 12.

[09/Jan/2021:13:23:18 +0100] [192.168.1.69] /stats.cgi : Perl execution failed : Can’t locate Async.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Async module) (@INC contains: /lib /usr/share/webmin /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.30 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30 /usr/share/perl/5.30 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/share/webmin/ .) at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi line 12.
BEGIN failed–compilation aborted at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi line 12.

[09/Jan/2021:13:23:22 +0100] [192.168.1.69] /stats.cgi : Perl execution failed : Can’t locate Async.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Async module) (@INC contains: /lib /usr/share/webmin /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.30 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30 /usr/share/perl/5.30 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/share/webmin/ .) at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi line 12.

[09/Jan/2021:13:24:11 +0100] miniserv.pl started
[09/Jan/2021:13:24:11 +0100] IPv6 support enabled
[09/Jan/2021:13:24:11 +0100] Using MD5 module Digest::MD5
[09/Jan/2021:13:24:11 +0100] Using SHA512 module Crypt::SHA
[09/Jan/2021:13:24:11 +0100] PAM authentication enabled
[09/Jan/2021:13:24:13 +0100] [192.168.1.69] /index.cgi/ : Perl execution failed : Undefined subroutine &main::authentic called at /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/index.cgi line 12.

You would need just to reload the page in browser.

I emptied cache and reloaded the browser with no luck. It ended up being that preroot was gray and theme was authentic that caused it. For me it’s fixed now. Posted the error log simply if it might help you guys nail down how it happened.

That is perfectly correct and expected! If your configuration for themes out of sync then it could cause a lot of troubles.

What I’m baffled about is that people report issues while having correct configs.

@forsman To be clear - you had a missmatch in your configs? preroot option in miniserv.conf file was set to gray-theme and theme option in config file was set to authentic-theme right?