Error on milter-greylist server and Mail Rate Limiting

I had an interesting error that I traced back to the Mail Rating module. Over the weekend the mail queue grew to over 500 messages and the webmail started giving an error that the user had exceeded their limit.

This morning only 31 emails were sent and 260 were stuck in the queue. The logs were showing an error related to the VIRTUALMIN LIMIT HAS BEEN EXCEEDED: 14763 milter-greylist server 1000

I had the mail rate limiting set to 1000 messages per hour for the server, but only 31 were sent.

Flushing the mail queue had no effect. Nothing moved.

I turned OFF the mail Rate Limiting and flushed the queue and the mail was all cleared. I have now turned the milter-greylist server back on and everything seems to be working again.

I am seeing an error message in the Maillog:
milter-greylist: smfi_getsymval failed for {if_addr}

Not sure if I need to worry about this.

The message you’re seeing in the mail log is harmless.

About the initial issue, it’s possible that the amount by which the limit is exceeded keeps growing if some process is trying to (re-)queue the messages too quickly. It’s just a guess though; a bit hard to say without seeing the mail log for myself.

Yeah you may want to try restarting milter-greylist, flush the queue, and see if your messages go out successfully at that point.

-Eric

Restarting milter-greylist did fix the issue.