Email server issues after upgrade to Virtualmin 3.81

I seem to be having a problem with my postfix email server logging into POP3 to check mail I can send mail but not receive it. Everything was working fine before the upgrade to 3.81 I could send and receive email fine without any problems. server is setup to use TLS encryption. Below is my current config. I did change the mailbox_command to mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME to do the inital check and then I changed it back later to the default and commented the mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME out. I tried with both settings and neither one seems to be working.

See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

Debian specific: Specifying a file name will cause the first

line of that file to be used as the name. The Debian default

is /etc/mailname.

#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name mail.whosspeakingtoday.net
biff = no

appending .domain is the MUA’s job.

append_dot_mydomain = no

Uncomment the next line to generate “delayed mail” warnings

#delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

TLS parameters

smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache

See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for

information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = whosspeakingtoday.net
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = whosspeakingtoday.net, mail.whosspeakingtoday.net, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc
mailbox_command = procmail -a “$EXTENSION”
#mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME
home_mailbox = Maildir/https://whosspeakingtoday.net:10000/
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
inet_protocols = all
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

Also here is my procmail log file below maybe some else is having the same issues I am. Any assistance would be helpful I am using Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

procmail: Unable to treat as directory “/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/new”
procmail: Skipped “/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir”
procmail: Unable to treat as directory “/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/new”
procmail: Skipped “/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir”
From mikem@whosspeakingtoday.net Tue Oct 19 21:06:58 2010
Subject: =?utf-8?B?TWljcm9zb2Z0IE9mZmljZSBPdXRsb29rIFRlc3QgTWVzc2FnZQ==?=
Folder: Bounced 0

Here is my dovecot log looks like a permission error somewhere?

2010-10-19 22:53:01 POP3(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Error: mkdir(/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied (euid=1005(mikem.whosspeakingtoday) egid=1000(whosspeakingtoday) missing +w perm: /home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir)
2010-10-19 22:53:01 POP3(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Error: Couldn’t open INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2010-10-19 22:53:01]
2010-10-19 22:53:01 POP3(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Info: Couldn’t open INBOX top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0
2010-10-19 22:54:37 IMAP(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Error: mkdir(/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied (euid=1005(mikem.whosspeakingtoday) egid=1000(whosspeakingtoday) missing +w perm: /home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir)
2010-10-19 22:54:37 IMAP(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Error: mkdir(/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied (euid=1005(mikem.whosspeakingtoday) egid=1000(whosspeakingtoday) missing +w perm: /home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir)
2010-10-19 22:54:37 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<mikem.whosspeakingtoday>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
2010-10-19 22:54:37 IMAP(mikem.whosspeakingtoday): Info: Connection closed bytes=72/618

Yeah, the error here seems pertinent:

Error: mkdir(/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied (euid=1005(mikem.whosspeakingtoday) egid=1000(whosspeakingtoday) missing +w perm: /home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir)

It sounds like there’s a permissions problem preventing Dovecot from being able to interact with the mail files.

That’s not likely to be related to your Virtualmin upgrade, as that doesn’t change config files or filesystem permissions during the upgrade. It’s possible something else occurred at a similar time though.

Is it just this one user that’s having trouble? Or are all users seeing this same problem?

You may want to verify that this user had permission to write to the dir “/home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir”.

-Eric

Thank you so much i knew it might be a permission problem but didn’t know exactly where to look though. I chown the directory /home/whosspeakingtoday/homes/mikem/Maildir to mikem.whosspeakingtoday and viola it works sent and recieved test email and everything. I still don’t know how the permissions were changed as it showed the directory was owned by root not the user. I have duplicated this issue on one of my production servers earlier this morning not the one I just fixed, with the same user different domain. It has me a little bit concerned but at least I know how to fix the issue now. Thank you again so much. I reverted my production server back to another vzdump snapshot last night so it would be working today this was before I knew how to fix the problem. I will let you know how the upgrade for it goes after I finish it Wed night. I will make notes of the user permissions as well before and after the upgrade.