Email migration from Plesk to Virtualmin

I need to transfer some mailboxes to Virtualmin.
A mailbox is managed by the provider. It is currently active and entirely managed by them. The domain still points to their servers while on Virtualmin I haven’t created a Virtual Server yet.

The case of two other mailboxes is different.
These reside on an Ubuntu 22.04 server, with Postfix and managed by Plesk.
On this server I can access its IP address with root rights.
The domain has already been transferred to Virtualmin where I have already created mailboxes with the same name and password.

I remember reading that there was a tool to transfer all your mail, but I can’t find that post.
In any case, how does the transfer take place?
Obviously I can’t access the old mailboxes with the domain because this now points to the new Virtualmin server.

I don’t know anything about the first mailbox; I don’t know how this is managed and I only know about the server what I see on the MX record.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0
Related packages Postfix

Hello!
You can use my tool for doing this:

https://imapsync.maxihoster.com

It’s free and self service!

1 Like

Where’s the privacy info? What are you doing with the login credentials? What security is implemented? Does it withstand security audits?

We don’t store any data! It’s only for doing the script of transfer of mail! It’s only a web interface for performing a linux script about imap transfer! Nothing more! No email is coming directly to us! Be quiet!

Seriously?!

You offering a “service” without further description and what you do with the data; I reckon it’s a valid point questioning your service and challenging your practise.

Okay, so you’re going to calm down right away!

He asks a question and I offer him a free tool that we put online primarily for our customers but which is available to everyone! If you go to my main site, you have all our general conditions, our confidentiality policies, etc. so let’s calm down!

And I don’t force him to use my infrastructure! He asks a question and I tell him I have this tool to help him!

We are a company in Switzerland! Do you think we’re making fun of our customers’ data here? We are ultra-specific when it comes to data security and we analyze no customer data! Our policy = 100% confidentiality!

Oh, please… Your general conditions do not even include any privacy or security policies.

Look, I have nothing to argue with you here!

I offered to help and you come to annoy the world!

I think you haven’t visited my site:

https://www.maxihoster.com/fr/privacy-statement-eu/

On this good day to you!

I did and I read your general conditions. Hence I wrote there ain’t privacy and/or security policies mentioned. Anyways, for the simple reason drifting off-topic, I leave it be and everyone warned to not put their login credentials into untrusted/unverified sources (and I explicitly and deliberately do not just refer to your service).

Its free software you can get at

and run in command line, alot quicker as well.

@maxihoster Thanks for this tool it must eat a lot of bandwidth. It will be very useful for me.

OK, then I check the suggested links.
For now I thank everyone.

I don’t think so as it transfer between the 2 imap accounts, not on the server you run the commands. Least that how I see it working.

Imapsync does not transfer mail directly from source account to destination account. Mail is transferred from the source account to the machine on which imapsync runs (the server on which you run the commands) and then transferred onwards to the destination account.

If bandwith utilisation is a concern then imapsync should be run on either the source server or destination server.

when I had one user (me) to migrate from one IMAP enabled remote mail system to another one, I simply added both to Thunderbird (I suppose Outlook would work as well), and then COPIED each message folder from the old account stanza in TB over to the new account. Took awhile but I eventually got all my msgs moved over.

Of course this won’t scale :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.