email help please - Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

Have created mail users however when sending to an alias the mail bounces with the message:

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

How do I go about troubleshooting this issue?

Howdy,

So just to clarify, only the alias bounces?

If you send a message to any of your mail users, the message is delivered successfully?

If that’s the case, it almost sounds like you may want to go into Edit Mail Users, and verify how it’s being delivered… if it’s delivering to an account, make sure the account is listed correctly.

Or, if it’s forwarding to an address, make sure the forwarding address is correct.

-Eric

Actually there is an issue sending as well, just tried sending a mail using roundcube and got the error message:

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

So both ways are an issue

If your main.cfg has this entry:

myorigin = $mydomain

you should change it to:

#myorigin = $mydomain

then restart postfix

and try again.

Mailserver is tricky and gives a lot of headackes :wink:

Best

btw: Make sure, you know, how to connect. Usually, if your user is named info and the domain is example.com your login to the mailserver is info.example, not info@example.com. But only if you use default settings.

Still having issues with this, myorigin = $mydomain was commented out in my main.cf.In my /etc/postfix/main.cf I now have…

#myorigin = $myhostname
myorigin = $mydomain

However sending mail to an alias gives…

domain.com #550 5.1.1 alias@domain.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table ##

I’ve stopped and restarted postfix still bounces, any more guidence?

it should be like this:

myorigin=

You won’t need it at all.
Post your main.cf as a file Attachment; then we’ll see.

btw. Tell us a bit more about your setup:

Which OS and Version?
Using Postfix Version?
Using Spam Assasin?
Using Dovecot?

etc.
Best

System hostname DealOffer (31.222.181.164)
Operating system CentOS Linux 5.8
Webmin version 1.610
Virtualmin version 3.98.gpl GPL

Can anyone give me some more guidence on this i.e. how to troubleshoot this further?

Do you have a Virtual Server named “dealoffer.co.uk”?

If so, that might be the issue… it may be confusing Postfix if there’s a Virtual Server with the same name as your server’s hostname.

-Eric

Yes we do, this is the only domain on the entire server what would be a quick easy solution to this issue?

[Solved]
I was having the same issue.

If you send email to a domain account, email program first look for the domain in your own server.

If that domain exist on your own server, that mail don’t sending external server.

Andso delete that domain in your server.

Then the email will be sent to an external server.

Good Luck

The hostname of the server is DealOffer and the server only hosts one domain which is dealoffer.co.uk what is wrong wiht this set-up?

maillog shows…

Mar 24 09:32:53 DealOffer postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
Mar 24 09:32:53 DealOffer postfix/master[20892]: reload configuration /etc/postfix
Mar 24 09:33:59 DealOffer postfix/smtpd[11566]: warning: 188.92.238.166: hostname 188-92-238-166.sharedband.ccsleeds.co.uk verification failed: Name or service not known
Mar 24 09:33:59 DealOffer postfix/smtpd[11566]: connect from unknown[188.92.238.166]
Mar 24 09:33:59 DealOffer postfix/trivial-rewrite[11570]: warning: do not list domain dealoffer.co.uk in BOTH mydestination and virtual_alias_domains
Mar 24 09:33:59 DealOffer postfix/smtpd[11566]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[188.92.238.166]: 550 5.1.1 technical@dealoffer.co.uk: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from=Chris@mydomain.co.uk to=technical@dealoffer.co.uk proto=ESMTP helo=<remote.mydomain.co.uk>
Mar 24 09:33:59 DealOffer postfix/smtpd[11566]: disconnect from unknown[188.92.238.166]
Mar 24 09:37:19 DealOffer postfix/anvil[11569]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (smtp:188.92.238.166) at Mar 24 09:33:59
Mar 24 09:37:19 DealOffer postfix/anvil[11569]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (smtp:188.92.238.166) at Mar 24 09:33:59
Mar 24 09:37:19 DealOffer postfix/anvil[11569]: statistics: max cache size 1 at Mar 24 09:33:59

I’m a newbie.

In my opinion, it seems to be the network setting.

webmin / networking / network configuration / Hostname ans DNS Client
In DNS server, External Top level or high level dns server ip will be described.

And in Search domains, External Top level or high level dns server ip will be described.

Good luck.

Had a same issue but solved see below:

/usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u example.com -mail_service false

try this from DigitalBerg