Email Aliases Bug?

When I create an email alias and point it to more than one email address, it doesn’t work all of the time. I use “Edit Mail Aliases”.

Operating system CentOS Linux 5.5
Webmin version 1.520
Virtualmin version 3.82.gpl GPL

Emails get bounced back - Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; unknown user - even though the stated user exists.

This is what tech support told me:

For some reason when creating aliases that forward to more than one email, it sets the alias table to the imap username as if it were an actual mail account, not just an alias. This could be a bug in the webmin system perhaps.

Can anyone comment on this? It’s very frustrating when a client asks for an email alias to be setup and then it may or may not work. I’ve started to setup email users and then choose ‘Forward to other addresses’, but I shouldn’t have to do that. It’s must easier to keep track of aliases then email users.

What is the alias destination for that user?

It doesn’t seem to matter what the alias destination is. I’ve had problems with this across multiple domains with a number of different destination email addresses. The destination emails are almost always with domains that are not hosted on my VPS.

did you get this resolved ?

I too have the occassional problem with aliases

I believe the function to updat ethe table is not being called, I believe it to be ‘newaliases’.
this is happening to me and I will investigate again today.

thanks Brian

No. I never got this resolved. Instead my tech support guys told me that I shouldn’t use aliases (because of the bug), instead, when I need an alias, I should just create an account and set that address to forward and not have mail delivered normally.

I think this is not the way I should have to deal with aliases. Especially because I’ve ended up having further problems with aliases/email forwarding. I had a client ask me to forward his email to his BlackBerry email address as well as have it delivered normally to his domain email account. Shouldn’t be a problem, right? He ended up getting two copies of every email on his BB. I was able to duplicate this (didn’t have to be a BB address) and I figured out that it was only happening for accounts that had other accounts forwarding to them.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel with Virtualmin. It just seems like simple, straightforward things are not working for me and my clients are starting to think that I don’t know what I’m doing. I was planning to have the tech guys switch me over to cPanel, but now they tell me that it would all have to be done manually.

Please help.

No. I never got this resolved. Instead my tech support guys told me that I shouldn’t use aliases (because of the bug), instead, when I need an alias, I should just create an account and set that address to forward and not have mail delivered normally.

I think this is not the way I should have to deal with aliases. Especially because I’ve ended up having further problems with aliases/email forwarding. I had a client ask me to forward his email to his BlackBerry email address as well as have it delivered normally to his domain email account. Shouldn’t be a problem, right? He ended up getting two copies of every email on his BB. I was able to duplicate this (didn’t have to be a BB address) and I figured out that it was only happening for accounts that had other accounts forwarding to them.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel with Virtualmin. It just seems like simple, straightforward things are not working for me and my clients are starting to think that I don’t know what I’m doing. I was planning to have the tech guys switch me over to cPanel, but now they tell me that it would all have to be done manually.

Please help.

It works fine on my server. You probably have a configuration issue somewhere. Did you consider getting a Pro license? You would get much better support than here in the GPL forum (and even more features).

Howdy,

There’s been quite a few bugfixes since Virtualmin 3.82 came out last November.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to the most recent Virtualmin version, 3.87, and then see if that works correctly when you add new email aliases.

If not, we can do some troubleshooting to see what’s going on :slight_smile:

-Eric

I am on:
Debian Linux 6.0
Virtualmin version 3.88.gpl GPL

I was having the same issue (I think). I wanted an address that would then forward to both mine and my wife’s separate email addresses. I set up dicknjane@myurl.com to forward to dick@myurl.com AND jane@myurl.com. I got the same error mentioned above by Mohsho.

What I discovered on my server is that if I was forwarding to email addresses on another domain name, it worked fine. It was only on forwards to the same domain name that it failed.

So, I set up an alias server of my myurl.com… i.e. dummy.myurl.com and set the forward to dick@dummy.myurl.com AND jane@dummy.myurl.com. Because they are alias addresses, the mail wnet through and ended up in the correct inboxes.

I hope it helps. Lemme know how yours works out!

This bug has apparently still not been fixed. Setting up alias’ to the same server doesn’t work; setting up alias’ to point to an external server works; I’m currently using the work-around of setting up a new account, and then forwarding that to the alternate account.

Still, it would be nice if this were fixed.