Editing/creating a Database

Guys, I’ve just installed Ubuntu LTS 20.04 and tried installing phpmyadmin but couldn’t because of this error:

This script cannot be installed, as this virtual server does not meet its requirements : phpMyAdmin requires a MySQL database, phpMyAdmin requires MySQL version 5.5 or later

I also tried to create a DB but, unlike Centos, Ubuntu doesn’t display the Edit Database tab. I tried enabling in Admin Options/Edit Owner Limits but to no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this issue, please?.. Thanks.

|—|—|
|||
|OS type and version:|Ubuntu 20.04|
|Webmin version:|REQUIRED|
|Virtualmin version:|REQUIRED|
|Related products version:|RECOMMENDED|

Again?! Seriously?!

I finally got it running, but in Ubuntu I can’t find the Edit DB tab…

• Select a virtual server from the left sidebar dropdown
  • Go to Edit Virtual Server on the left sidebar
  • Tick MySQL database enabled?
  • Install PHPMyAdmin

Stop working in the OS. Work in Virtualmin. That’s why it’s there. If you are going to continue doing everything in the OS, then uninstall Virtualmin, work only in Ubuntu and head over to the Ubuntu forums.

Thanks.That only shows in Centos.

Not working on OS. I’ve never used Ubunto, and for some reason what shillongserver suggested does not display on Ubuntu.

The Virtualmin dashboard shows more or less the same sidebar options/menu items regardless of OS afaik though.

The OS doesn’t matter. You’re either in Virtualmin or you are not. You just said you were working in Ubuntu then you say you’re not.

And you wonder why people get so frustrated with you.

VM installed in Ubuntu

DNS domain enabled?
   Apache website enabled?
   Apache SSL website enabled?
   Mail for domain enabled?
   Spam filtering enabled?
   Virus filtering enabled?
   Webalizer reporting enabled?
   Webmin login enabled?
   AWstats reporting
   DAV login
   IP-based virtual FTP enabled?

VM isntalled in Centos 8

DNS domain enabled?
   Apache website enabled?
   MariaDB database enabled?
   Mail for domain enabled?
   Spam filtering enabled?
   Virus filtering enabled?
   Webmin login enabled?
   AWstats reporting

Menu Centos 8

Virtual Server Summary
 Create Virtual Server
 Edit Virtual Server
 Edit Users
 Edit Mail Aliases
 Edit Databases
 Install Scripts
 File Manager
 Administration Options
 Server Configuration
 Disable and Delete
 Services
 Logs and Reports

Menu Ubuntu

Virtual Server Summary
 Create Virtual Server
 Edit Virtual Server
 Edit Users
 Edit Mail Aliases
 Install Scripts
 File Manager
 Administration Options
 Server Configuration
 Disable and Delete
 Services
 Logs and Reports

Jesus wept.

Try running System Settings > Re-check Configuration and see if you get any errors.

Also check if MySQL/MariaDB is mentioned anywhere in the configuration check. If yes, copy that line/section and paste it here.

No errors displayed.

Did you check to see if you even have it enabled per the screen shot?

Nothing to enable… DNS domain enabled?
Apache website enabled?
Mail for domain enabled?
Spam filtering enabled?
Virus filtering enabled?
Webmin login enabled?
AWstats reporting
DAV login

If there are no lines referencing MySQL/MariaDB in the configuration check, then you either have not installed MySQL/MariaDB or have not installed it correctly.

The line should look something like this:

MySQL 8.0.26-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 is installed and running.

Very strange. When I set up VM I installed Mariadb, but it disappeared. I couldn’t enable it and couldn’t start it because it kept saying not available. I created another droplet and installed MySql, and now it’s working correctly. Thanks.

You should not install anything before installing Virtualmin. The docs are, I think, extremely clear about this. There’s a big warning box about it and everything.

3 Likes

The official docs specify that Virtualmin should be installed on a fresh OS, i.e an OS which has nothing else installed.

Why then did you install MariaDB before you installed Virtualmin, @ilouie? That won’t work.

You are making your journey to a successful Virtualmin install the longest one possible and taking every detour and getting into every dead-end that there is because you don’t adhere to the official documentation and then don’t accept advice and suggestions offered by experienced users and expert developers here on the forum.

It takes most of us under 15 minutes to install Virtualmin (again, on a fresh OS, please note) and we use the web server and database server that comes with the OS that we choose. Virtualmin then just works: it can be used to create virtual servers, email addresses, etc by server owner (that’s you and me) and users (that’s our respective clients) alike.

Why don’t you try installing Virtualmin with all options set to default on a fresh OS of your choice and then use Virtualmin via the web based GUI instead of the command line? Virtualmin and Webmin are, after all, intended to be used as a GUI for shared hosting and managing servers for those who want to an easier option than using the command line.

All the best!

1 Like

Thanks Cal. You only learn the hard way. I have not installed this in over a year and quite frankly forgot how. But, this journey taught me a valuable lesson, and that’s to read before proceeding. I also tried setting it up on an OS that I’ve never worked with before, and it was because I don’t want to have to do this again in the near future; but, I can honestly say now that I can set this up blindfolded. Now I can probably advice someone not to make the same mistakes… LOL…