Dynamic DNS and Port Forwarding what is the next step!

Hello, community
I have simple question and I really need your help, because I am kind of stupid.I came from vestacp control panel which is kind of simple with lack of features then I found you guys so I thought I should learn how to master this control panel, so I installed virtualmin on my centos 7, and because I don’t have static IP address I should use dynamic DNS and Port Forwarding from router, you know that guys right!, so I searched online and I found dynu site and I think I am going to use it (please let me know if you know another sites with better services that can take millions of users). However, that is not my issue my issue is where to click next! can you explain to me what is the next step after opening the port how to go live is there is an option I should fill please explain the steps and better to provide video tutorials

Kind Regards,
iakkilah

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version centos
Virtualmin version 7.3

@iakkilah,

You should really consider getting a “static IP” if you are running a server or setup using a service provider. Further, you should really reconsider CentOS as it’s not recommended anymore. Rocky Linux, and AlmaLinux are both supported by Virtualmin and are replacements for CentOS.

*** Professional, Affordable, Trusted Technical Assistance – tpnAssist.com ***

Hello
Thank you for you reposed I will do that but I think static ip is only through ISP and it cost a lot and my installation reason is educational so buying static ip is hard unless you mean like this guy How to Set Static IP Address in Rocky Linux Server - YouTube

Are you aware that Virtualmin supports DynDns? If you don’t have a static IP address, get an account from DynDns, configure your router to send traffic to your Virtualmin box and configure DynDns in Virtualmin to use your DynDns account. That’s all there is to it.

It is very easy to run Virtualmin and web services on a dynamic IP address. Go for it, @iakkilah !

1 Like

On top of what @calport posted, you need to be aware that you won’t be able to run a mail server on a dynamic IP. So if email is going to be important, you’re going to have to come up with an alternative for that.

Once you open your ports on your router, everything should work just fine provided you’ve correctly set up your domain and pointed your domain to your nameservers.

I’ve hosted on dynamic IP for years and never had an issue with it other than email, which I use a service provider for.

1 Like

You can send mail from a dynamic IP, as long as the provider allows it (most do not allow it!).

But, you’re correct that you can’t reasonably run a mail server that receives mail on a dynamic IP.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.