I followed your instructions in Bug #39 to start Dovecot but got the following error:
Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: Login user doesn’t exist: dovecot
So I looked at the /etc/dovecot.conf file and saw that the
#login_user = dovecot
was commented out. I un-commented it and saved it using the file manager logged in as root in Webmin and now I get the following error when trying to start Dovecot:
Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot start …
Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: Can’t open configuration file /etc/dovecot.conf: Permission denied
I’ve played around with the file permissions but still get this error. Any sugestions?
This is a new one on me! You shouldn’t need to touch any permissions or configuration files. It should just work. What version of CentOS did you say this was happening on?
I’ve just tested on CentOS4, and was able to start it up from a fresh install, without any modifications or configuration changes.
I’m going to see if I can reproduce your problem somewhere. In the meantime, we should revert you to the defaults (as the defaults are known to work without any tinkering), and see if we can get a sensible error message out of it. So, uninstall dovecot:
rpm -e --nodeps dovecot
yum install dovecot
Or, if you prefer up2date:
This might be an SELinux side-effect. We’ll want to turn off SELinux (we’ll be doing this in the installer soon):
And edit /etc/selinux/config to set SELINUX=disabled
After all of this, try starting dovecot again. If it errors, look in /var/log/messages* for anything relevant to Dovecot and post it here. I’m sure it’s something simple and we just need to spot what it is.
*-To look at the end of /var/log/messages, use the following command (or you can use the System:System Logs module to "View…" the log):
tail -50 /var/log/messages | less
Since I’m not currently at the console and can’t get there for a while I didn’t reinstall dovecot I just edited the dovecot.conf file back to the way it was and then did the SELinux stuff and then started Dovecot. And presto it works! The POP3 server is now up and running.
The problem must have been that SELinux was running.
This machine is running Fedora Core 4.