Domain has bogus MX record 127.0.0.1 (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Hi all,

Ok, I’m trying to email someone and I’m getting an ‘undelivered’ reply mail back.

That email says:

Domain (mydomain.com) has bogus MX record 127.0.0.1 (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Now… would that be an issue with the spf records? I do have:

localhost A - IPv4 Address 127.0.0.1

in the spf records, but that is the only reference there to 127.0.0.1, everything else points to the server’s ip address.

I’ve been using this set up for years and this is the first time I’ve seen this problem.

Chris

update - hmm, according to this, I don’t have spf records, though it is enabled on virtualmin… andrews.com Domain Health

Still trying to suss this out if anyone has any ideas…

Go to https://www.unlocktheinbox.com/spfwizard/ and use their wizard to generate correct SPF records. Its worth to check other things on that site what could help you to sort your email.

Thanks Diabolico,

I took a look there and it also said I didn’t have spf records. I use cloudflare and after some research it looks like I have to add my spf records there, which I did.

According to unlockthebox.com, I now have spf records in place, but I’m still getting:

Domain andrews.com has bogus MX record 127.0.0.1 (in reply to RCPT TO command)

in an ‘undeliverable’ email reply when I send mail to the address I need to contact. Mail goes through to other mail recipients ok.

Any other thoughts on what might be causing the ‘bogus’ message?

Chris