Does Virtualmin support MySQL 5.5 and PHP 5.3?

Does Virtualmin support MySQL 5.5 and PHP 5.3? I am currently running them on CloudLinux 7 with cPanel. Also, what are the differences between Virtualmin Professional and Cloudmin Professional? Is there a way to experience them firsthand?

Virtualmin would if you had those versions installed, but I can’t recommend it.

I believe CentOS/RHEL 7 have versions pretty close to that old, so that would be the only supported way to run such old versions. I’m not recommending it, but if you really can’t update your apps to work with a reasonably recent version of Mariadb and PHP, I guess that’s all I can offer.

They are completely different products, there is no similarity between them except that they are modules of Webmin. I mean, the differences are “everything”.

Virtualmin is a shared web hosting control panel. Since you’re talking about MySQL and PHP versions, that is the product you need.

Cloudmin is for virtual machine management. e.g. managing KVM VMs for hosting.

Download and install them. Downloading and Installing Virtualmin – Virtualmin

Simple answer - yes.

But you have to ask yourself - why am I even considering such ancient versions and what will happen when they are upgraded to the latest version?

Virtualmin will install the latest version as given by your OS that will currently be:
MariaDB (a good replacement for MySQL) currently v10.6.16
and PHP currently v8.1.2
both of which should indicate to you that something is very much out-of-date.

That’s only accurate for one OS. Every distro we support has different versions.

It is true that we default to Mariadb, though it’s easy to switch to MySQL (though I don’t recommend it…Mariadb is more compatible with old versions of MySQL than current MySQL is).

Yes I was being OS specific - sorry.
But the fact should be that Virtualmin when installed will take the most recent available release from the OS. I should have also made it clear that as sys admin you can select other versions of php and also install them.

My main point was why install ancient versions? PHP 5 went out of use years ago even before I retired! Major version changes are frequently not backward compatible and often fix major bugs or security vulnerabilities. If you are installing old versions to support some web application it is the web application that should be fixed.
PHP 5 was a mess and replaced with PHP 7
PHP 7 in particular was a serious improvement over 5 (not least of which was the strong use OOP and improved error handling many of the PHP5 functions being depreciated.

Even PHP7 is now considered obsolete and even comes with security issues.

PHP 8 (current) is another major release with breaking changes over PHP 7.

As always any sys admin should think long and hard about why they are downgrading any software. Should strongly oppose such steps and understand the future impact such a move could have on their system.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.