DNS server

I am trying to setup my DNS server using virtualmin. But it’s been a week of trial an error and it is still not working. :frowning:

1- I am trying to add my record for ns1.website.com and ns2.website.com but if I let the ‘record name’ blank, I get ‘Failed to save DNS record : Record name contains invalid characters’ and if I set the ‘record name’ to ‘website.com’, I get ‘Failed to save DNS record : Record name does not need to include the domain name’.
So how do I get this?

website.com NS - Name Server ns1.website.com.
website.com NS - Name Server ns2.website.com.

2- I am not sure where in virtualmin I have to enter the 4 IP adresses I was given when I rented my dedicated server. Is there a way to let virtualmin know which 2 will be used for DNS server?

3- Once I succeed with my DNS server, is there a way to add new web sites that would all use this DNS server? I saw that you can modify a template but I am not too sure what to put in. Right now I just copied something I found on the net. I could not find it in the virtualmin documentation.

Virtualmin -> System -> ServerTemplate -> Default_Setting -> DNS:
‘BIND DNS records for new domains’:
${DOM}. IN NS ns1.${DOM}.
${DOM}. IN NS ns2.${DOM}.

Howdy,

First off, if you haven’t seen this yet, this may help at bit… check out the section named “How do I setup nameservers for my server”:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/faq

I am trying to add my record for ns1.website.com and ns2.website.com but if I let the ‘record name’ blank, I get ‘Failed to save DNS record : Record name contains invalid characters’ and if I set the ‘record name’ to ‘website.com’, I get ‘Failed to save DNS record : Record name does not need to include the domain name’.

You shouldn’t actually need to add ‘NS’ records – those will be added for you automatically when the domain is created.

However, you do need to add two ‘A’ records.

And when creating those ‘A’ records, you would only put ‘ns1’ and ‘ns2’ in the “record name” field.

I am not sure where in virtualmin I have to enter the 4 IP adresses I was given when I rented my dedicated server. Is there a way to let virtualmin know which 2 will be used for DNS server?

I’d suggest just letting the DNS server listen on all the IP’s, it doesn’t really hurt anything to do that.

Once I succeed with my DNS server, is there a way to add new web sites that would all use this DNS server? I saw that you can modify a template but I am not too sure what to put in. Right now I just copied something I found on the net. I could not find it in the virtualmin documentation.

Sure. Virtualmin assumes by default that domains it adds will be using your system as a nameserver.

The link above should assist in setting that up.

-Eric

Hi,

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/faq

I read that page but I could not understand enough. I guess it would help to see a few complete examples.

“You shouldn’t actually need to add ‘NS’ records – those will be added for you automatically when the domain is created.”

I may have modified them by mistake but now I cannot correct them because of the problem I mentioned. Is the only way to get them back to delete the site and re-create it (loose all my settings)?

Hi,

While my time is limited, I’d be happy to help you get setup with DNS, just drop me a line so we can setup a “screen sharing” session. It is currently 6:30 PM where I am, and I’ll need to know by no later than 7:30 PM otherwise assistance will need to be delayed until tomorrow. Send me a quick email with IM details (I am setup for Yahoo!, MSN, Google, Skype, ICQ, and AIM)

*** to speed things up, you can contact me on Skype which I have running right now: tpnsupport ***

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342
W: http://www.tpnsolutions.com

Thanks for your offer!

I found the solution after performing a port scan on my server. I did not have any firewall but all ports were ‘blocked’. It turns out that I had to add the other IP addresses in webmin like this:

Webmin -> Networking -> Network Configuration -> Network Interfaces
Choose eth0.
add virtual interface.
fill IP address
Click save and apply…

After doing that I just restarted the BIND DNS server and it worked.

It should probably be part of the DNS documentation…

Cheers!

Hi,

Good to hear you solved the matter :slight_smile:

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342
W: http://www.tpnsolutions.com

Hi! I’m not sure I understand why and what you did?

Did you “fill IP Address” as the same as eth0 for virtual :1? Or did you “fill” a different IP address?

Any help?