DNS only works with internal IP?

Hello,

I’m new to virtualmin and I’m trying to set up DNS for my server. I’ve already transferred DNS from my registrar (namecheap) to my server, and in the Virtualmin Configuration -> Networking settings I’ve set the Default virtual server IP address to the external IP address of my server. The Default IP address for DNS records option is set to use the same as virtual server IP. When saving, it asks to update all incorrect IPS in my DNS entries, so I choose yes. Once its done, everything seems OK, but when I try to access my site (http://infohoarder.com), I get the contents of the default apache folder instead of the public_html of the domain infohoarder.com.

It is only when I set the Default virtual server IP to my server’s internal ip (192.168.1.95), it goes to the correct domain. Now this wouldn’t be a problem, but the Check configuration part of virtualmin then gives the following message:
Default IP address is set to 192.168.1.95, but the detected external address is actually 178.85.83.167. This is typically the result of being behind a NAT firewall, and should be corrected on the module configuration page.

And this concerns me a bit, as I don’t want to create any problems that might become unfixable in the future. Also, when I’ve set it to my internal IP (so when everything is working), intoDNS outputs this message about my server:
Looks like the A records (the GLUE) got from the parent zone check are different than the ones got from your nameservers. You have to make sure your parent server has the same NS records for your zone as you do.I detected some problems as follows:
For ns1.infohoarder.com the parent reported: [‘178.85.83.167’] and your nameservers reported: [‘192.168.1.95’]
For ns2.infohoarder.com the parent reported: [‘178.85.83.167’] and your nameservers reported: [‘192.168.1.95’]

So if anyone knows how to fix these warnings / errors, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, I’m behind a router if that helps, and I’ve port forwarded all the correct ports.

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,

I’ve set the Default virtual server IP address to the external IP address of my server. The Default IP address for DNS records option is set to use the same as virtual server IP

In the scenario you’re describing, you’d actually want to set the Default Virtual Server IP address to be the eth0 device – your internal IP address.

And you’d want to set “Default IP address for DNS records” to “Automatically detect external address”.

-Eric