DNS/Nameservers Seem to Not be Working

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17-3

I’ve checked my DNS server on intoDNS (the domain I’m testing is mcpage.me), and I get the error:
FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working. If they are not working ok, you may have problems!

I have set up GLUE records with my domain registrar for (generified) hostname.com, ns1.hostname.com, and ns2.hostname.com, and have set A records for all of these records as well. Is there something else I’m missing?

Seems like you are missing the NS records themselves…?

I now realize I was completely misreading the error message, I think you’re right. I’ve tried that and I’ll mark it as the solution in a bit if it works. Seems like I just needed someone to point out the obvious, haha

1 Like

Looks better according to IntoDNS now at least :slight_smile:
There are some other issues also of course, but those are slightly less relevant depending on your usage.

Setting up a second Virtualmin server now and using the same mcpage.me domain for testing if it’s working…

It seems to be getting the nameservers, and most seem to get the A records.

On IntoDNS there also doesn’t seem to be any issues with DNS (don’t need mail or anything).

I tried clearing the cache from OpenDNS, but when I checked their cachecheck page its full of SERVFAILs, and I have no idea why. Any idea what could be causing that?

My browser can’t load the page, saying mcpage.me’s DNS address could not be found., but it works for one of my friends.

Did you reduce TTL when changing DNS/Domain. Some ISP may take up to 48 hours to propagate properly. It’s usually quicker e.g. a day. Use online dns tool and see where it is resolving and where it’s yet to propagate. I’m in the UK and it resolves ok for me.

But, OpenDNS ad Google DNS have problem with resolve this domain:

rony@ares:/etc$ host www.mcpage.me 208.67.220.220
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.220.220
Address: 208.67.220.220#53
Aliases:

Host www.mcpage.me not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
rony@ares:/etc$ host www.mcpage.me 208.67.222.222
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53
Aliases:

Host www.mcpage.me not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
rony@ares:/etc$ host www.mcpage.me 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

Host www.mcpage.me not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
rony@ares:/etc$

I have a feeling something is wrong with the Google DNS ecosystem. Yesterday I also migrated the somedomain.sk to another server. After half an hour on 8.8.8.8, the somedomain.sk name resolved correctly, but the mail.somedomain.sk server resolved with 8.8.8.8 next 3 hours to the old IP address. OpenDNS resolved everything correctly after half an hour.

rony@ares:/etc$ host www.mcpage.me ns2.mywebserverbox.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns2.mywebserverbox.net
Address: 45.14.226.159#53
Aliases:

www.mcpage.me has address 45.14.226.159
rony@ares:/etc$ host www.mcpage.me ns1.mywebserverbox.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns1.mywebserverbox.net
Address: 45.14.226.159#53
Aliases:

www.mcpage.me has address 45.14.226.159

But resolving by primary nameservers look like’s. Obviously, the rest of the world’s DNS will recover after a while.