Disk Quota Exceeded - Don't know why

Today I noticed phpMyAdmin stopped working, which was due to Virtualmin thinking the Disk Quote for that domain had been exceeded. My quota is 1024 MB, the user directory in /home is only 76 MB, and the SQL database is only 28MB.

I don’t know why Virtualmin is reporting the quota is exceeded. Any ideas?

Howdy,

Virtualmin is just reporting what the Linux disk quota tools are telling it… it’s possible that you may have some other files owned by that user elsewhere (perhaps in /tmp or /var/log, for example). Or the quotas may potentially have become out of sync.

But the first thing I’d try doing is to run these two commands:

quota -v USERNAME quota -g GROUPNAME

What is the output of the above, using the username and group name for the Virtual Server owner in question?

-Eric

I have now changed the quota to unlimited, but it is still shows I have over 1GB usage and is increasing :confused:

Disk quotas for user andy (uid 500):
Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
/dev/vda1 1049160 0 0 196125 0 0

Disk quotas for group andy (gid 500): none

I’ve also cleared /tmp and /var/tmp, no different.

Does that user perhaps have a large log file in /var/log/virtualmin?

-Eric

Nothing in there

Hi,

Could be a mailbox account that’s growing…

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

Email: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
Phone: 604-782-9342

Ask me about my new support plans which include a FREE copy of Virtualmin Pro!!!

I need to find this quickly because it’s up another 50MB today and eventually I’ll run out of physical disk space :confused:

• The /home user folder is 76 MB
  • The MySQL database is 28 MB
  • There is no e-mail server, but even so this would have reflected in the /home/user folder
  • /tmp has been cleared
  • /var/tmp has been cleared
  • Largest file in /var/log was 22 MB
  • I have searched for files over 50 MB in size, only a few system files were found.
  • There are no PHP sessions active

I can only think there are lots and lots of little files rather than 1 large one.

Hi,

For a small fee, I can diagnose and help you get this resolved over a screen sharing session (so you can learn how the issue was resolved).

Ask me about my new support plans which include a FREE copy of Virtualmin Pro!!!

Thanks but I’ll find it myself :stuck_out_tongue:

I suspect it has something to do with cron

Solved

I went through every single file belonging to the user and found a considerable number of 4K files in
/var/spool/postfix/maildrop

They appear to have come from cron.

Hi,

Glad you solved things.