Default php.ini file?

Hi there!
Running Virtualmin Pro on a Debian 4.0 machine.
I want to change some of the defaults in the php.ini file.
I know in Virtualmin under Server Templates, Apache Website I can specify a default php5 config file. However, it is set to default right now, and the help says it grabs the config from /etc/php.ini or similar.
I looked at my system’s php.ini files, but there are differences, so there must be some other file that Virtualmin uses… Any idea where I can find it?

I looked at my system's php.ini files, but there are differences, so there must be some other file that Virtualmin uses... Any idea where I can find it?

It’s definitely coming from php.ini. But, it also gets a few substitutions, based on what scripts are installed. If you change php.ini, it’ll be reflected in the newly copied user php.ini files…unless those changes are among those that get substituted during the copy. If that’s the case, you’ll probably need to file a ticket and get Jamie’s assistance on the problem.

I should have been more clear: It’s definitely coming from the system-wide php.ini in /etc.

Last question then: is /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini used or /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini?

Wait…what?

I don’t know! I don’t recognize those paths. My systems only have /etc/php.ini or /etc/php5/php.ini, etc. I thought Debian/Ubuntu put them in similar locations…so I’m confused.

debian has no /etc/php.ini

i have the following:

/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini

i have the following:

/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini

So, we can rule out the cli one. It’s probably the cgi one, since this stuff only ever comes into play when PHP is used in CGI or FastCGI modes. I’ll see if I can spot where this is selected in the code…

Oh ok, I got confuesd cause the help talks about variables such as ${DOM} etc and I saw none of those in the php.ini file.

Oh ok, I got confuesd cause the help talks about variables such as ${DOM} etc and I saw none of those in the php.ini file.

Using comments in the file, I confirmed that:

/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini

is the template file for new servers by default.

However, you can select an alternative file in the server template under the: apache --> Template PHP configuration file

The default option for ubuntu uses the file located above.