Default Cronjobs for Webmin/Virtualmin?

Operating system: CentOS
OS version: 7.9.2009

Hello everyone,

I accidentally deleted root’s cronjobs in the terminal and I am in the process of restoring the cronjobs. I was wondering if anyone can please give me a list of the default/original root cronjobs for Webmin/Virtualmin?

I look in the webmin configuration in hopes of being able to restore them there but wasn’t able to find anything.

I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you calport.

What OS and version are you under?

I don’t think my server had /etc/webmin/status/monitor.pl cron job going. For me, monitor.pl is in another directory. (/usr/libexec/webmin/status/monitor.pl)

I looked into the older cron logs to see if monitor.pl ever ran, and it doesn’t have that one for example. Nor does it have the raid-check.

Same as yours, of course. I made sure that the OS and version is the same.

I am unable to do so now, I am busy with something else but if you could wait a few hours I will try and get that info across to you if no one else does so first.

1 Like

Thank you so much calport!

Yes I can wait. I’ll be around. Thanks again!

As I don’t use centos I can’t give you the info straight up, but I got an idea.
Why not spin up a centos instance on one of the number of vps providers that use hourly billing, like Linode, Do, Vultr and install Virtualmin? Considering it should only take a few minutes the cost would be a few cents top :slight_smile:

Thank you toreskev for the suggestion! :slight_smile:

@calport any update on this please?

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you so much @calport! :slight_smile:

Would you advise that I set monitor.pl (for me its located here: /usr/libexec/webmin/status/monitor.pl) cronjob although looking/searching the cron logs, I did not see this at all. The system is fairly new and there are only 3 cron logs at the moment - 2 old ones and 1 current, none of which I was able to find monitor.pl being ran and even raid-check as well.

Appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

Yes, you should add a cron job for monitor.pl. Virtualmin needs it only non-essentially (AFAIK) on a new system but in future if you use certain options then this is required.

Unless you have a specific reason for not running monitor.pl, you should run it

1 Like

Thank you @calport!

Upon searching the system, I cannot find raid-check anywhere. This is all I was able to find in regards to ‘raid’:

/usr/include/linux/raid
/usr/libexec/webmin/authentic-theme/images/modules/raid
/usr/libexec/webmin/raid
/usr/libexec/webmin/gray-theme/raid
/usr/libexec/webmin/blue-theme/raid
/proc/sys/dev/raid
/var/webmin/modules/raid
/etc/webmin/raid
/etc/selinux/targeted/active/modules/100/raid

The ‘raid-check’ is the only one from the screen shots I cannot locate. Would you know if any of the above are the ‘raid-check’ in my case?

Once again, thank you very much for your assistance!

Hmm, then I suppose the system that I have copied the Virtualmin cron settings from is configured for RAID a bit differently than the one you are using. I just checked another C7 system and it does not have a cron job for RAID at all, so I think it is fine for you to leave this one out.

I am glad I could be of assistance, @DonX

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you @calport for confirming that!

One other thing I’ve just realized. Spamassassin was in the cronjobs list at one point by its entry in the cron log:

Mar 30 04:10:01 editthis CROND[16909]: (root) CMD (/usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update.cron 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/sa-update.log)

It’s the only entry and it seems either it was removed when I accidentally deleted root’s cronjobs or my server hosting provider removed it when I was upgraded to CentOS Linux 7.9.2009. If they removed it, it’s because I see that spamassassin is not even installed on the system at all.

Would you recommend a good tutorial as too installing/configuring spamassassin please?

I recall having spamassassin on my CentOS 6 server prior to being upgraded to 7.9.2009.

Thank you!

This topic is about cron jobs; if you start a new topic with your question about spamassassin, gurus in the community will respond to it.

1 Like

@calport I did just that. :slight_smile:

If I have any more further questions in regards to the cron jobs, I will check/post back here.

Thank you again!

Hi @calport

I went and set up the cronjob for the monitor.pl, and this is the error I received upon when the cron job ran:

Can’t locate ./status-lib.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/libexec/webmin/status/monitor.pl line 9.

Perhaps for my system monitor.pl is not suppose to be set as a cronjob after all? I’m not sure. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you.

is script hidden? you call it job from ./hidden - are you sure you have written path to your script correctly? Also on server you should do full path to the script etc /home/some-user/script.pl etc…

Hi @unborn

Thanks for the reply. No, after checking to see if it’s hidden, it’s not hidden. It’s permissions though is: 0644

Do you think that could be the reason? Most of the files in the folder status-lib.pl is located in, their permissions is 0755. Some files in there have 0644, like status-lib.pl does.

Can you check your permissions for file status-lib.pl?

Thank you!

@DonX nah all you should do is make file executable chmod +x status-lib.pl and then in your cron - call that file without ./ means in command time /home/username/perhaps-another-folder/status-lib.pl > /dev/null 2>&1 and also run this as user who own the script or perhaps as root. Let me know if any errors…

Hey @unborn

Finally able to get back here after some personal related issues.

Anyhow, I get the same error after trying what you suggested. I think this issue is because of my hosting company installing virtualmin/webmin via minimal installation. Other than that, not sure. Thanks.