Debian Upgrade - Nwe Directories in root and .orig directories left after upgrade completed

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version DEBIAN 11
Webmin version 2.101

After upgrading Webmin and Usermin, we have new directories in root.
The .orig directories were also left in the root dir.

Now we have in the root dir:
/usermin-2.001
webmin-2.101

But the working files are in:
/var/usermin
/var/webmin

Is this normal?

Many thanks. J.

No, it is not normal. That sounds like you maybe did a tarball install (which you should never do on a system that has a package manager)?

Thanks for the quick reply.

• All updates and upgrades are done via Debian apt-update && apt-upgrade. Has worked for years without issue.
  • Both Webmin and Usermin are working as planned - so this looks like something in the installation upgrade/cleanup did not complete correctly.
  • Last updates leave the folders in /(webmin)or(usermin)/DEBIAN/…
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/changelog
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/conffiles
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/control
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/copyright
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/postinst
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/postrm
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/preinst
    /webmin-2.101/DEBIAN/prerm

Will delete them manually (after backup).

:exploding_head:

Yeah, that’s a problem in the package. @ilia, what’s going on here?

What Webmin version you were upgrading from? Also, what is the output of the following command on the system where you’re seeing this?

grep -Rsi webmin\. /etc/apt

I’d love to help to figure it out, although @Jamie does Webmin and Usermin packaging. I don’t see it happening with my nightly builds.

Oh, I thought this build was via your github action.

That’s new behavior, though.

Here’s the output:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/webmin.list:deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/debian-webmin-developers.gpg] Index of /download/newkey/repository stable contrib

Not getting any other error messages. Have just deleted the extra directories – (.orig) too. All is working fine.

1 Like

I see the issue now!

We will discuss it internally and fix the problem for the next Webmin 2.102.

That does sound like some kind of packaging error on our end. I will spin up a Debian 11 VM and see if I can re-produce this …

1 Like

You can easily repro this by using setup-repos.sh script and/or installing a package from newkey/repository

Ok I see the bug that causes this - future builds won’t have this issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.