Debian 8 LEMP Stack

When trying to use the automated installer to install a LEMP stack on a fresh Debian 8 install it fails because at some point in the installation apache2 gets installed (I’m assuming this is happening because of how PHP is being installed).

I’ve tried this on three different Debian 8 installations using the latest version of the script to install a LEMP bundle.

I’ll try to reproduce this later today, but in the meantime, I’m pretty sure Debian 9 works OK with the LEMP stack option.

Thanks Joe,

I’ll upgrade to Stretch and try that to see if it works. I will let you know.

This did work. I did however want to point out an error I noticed during the installation:

[12/23] Configuring Quotas █▒▒▒▒▒▒convertquota: You have to specify action to perform.
convertquota: Utility for converting quota files.
convertquota [options] mountpoint

-u, --user convert user quota file
-g, --group convert group quota file
-e, --convert-endian convert quota file to correct endianity
-f, --convert-format oldfmt,newfmt convert from old to VFSv0 quota format
-h, --help show this help text and exit
-V, --version output version information and exit

convertquota: Bugs to

I’ve just seen this today on a Scaleway virtual machine which has a bogus /etc/fstab. I don’t even know how the damned thing boots with an empty /etc/fstab! I’m not sure what to do about it.

Can you confirm that’s what’s happening with your system? What is the contents of /etc/fstab on your system? This may be a systemd-ism, but I’m not sure why most of the systems I’ve dealt with have a functional /etc/fstab that matches the actual mounts on the system.

# / was on /dev/vda1 during installation UUID=6a011e9d-e57c-4188-a5ae-6f7eac8bce7c / ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrquota,rw,relatime,grpquota,quota,data=ordered 0 1 # swap was on /dev/vda5 during installation UUID=892b9fba-d3cb-4264-9edf-25a7b5fb98c6 none swap sw 0 0

Huh…that looks fine and definitely isn’t the same problem I saw. I wonder why it didn’t do the right thing. But, I’ll plug that into my quotas code and see if I can make it act up.

I also posted another question in the Virtualmin forum about an issue I found today with LEMP and setting Features

So, I just rewrote the quotas code to not rely on Webmin’s quota library (which uses some commands to accomodate upgrading quotas from old systems and the like, which really is not necessary on any Virtualmin installation, or probably any system, since the “new” quota format is at least 15 years old).

I’ll roll out a new virtualmin-config package today after testing, and I’m pretty sure it’ll correct this problem for you…though the systems with no fstab are still something I need to address.